Home Technical Talk

Buildind a new PC. Choosing components

rhoner
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
rhoner polycounter lvl 2
Hello everyone,

I'm building a new PC. I want this to be ready to work in a professional level. Budget is between 2 and 3K $.

Is going to be used for modeling, texturing, and rendering. I want this PC to be really fast in Substance Painter.

I have configured this components (based on this web: https://www.userbenchmark.com/):

i7-11700k

RTX 3060

WD Black SN850 NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB

Seagate Barracuda 2T (2016) 

G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200 C14 4x16GB

ASUS TUF GAMING Z590-PLUS WIFI

(I'm still choosing the power supply)

This configuration would be 2.1K more or less.

It would be awesome if someone brings light.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Painter doesn't need Ram, it needs GPU and it  specifically likes cards with high memory bandwidth. 

If you're not offline rendering, building code or doing complex simulation / large data processing I'd probably go with 32gb and put the money saved into a 3070 or better

• Daf57
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 9
    Agree with Poopipe  - double that ram...you will in the future anyway. Go big on video card. And make sure your PS is beefy enough to handle it all - like 750 or higher. Enjoy!
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    CPUs:
    Don't use UserBenchmark.com for any meaningful comparison, they're biased AF towards intel. You only need to read the CPU summaries to see the bias in action. Intel get glowing summaries meanwhile AMD get slammed by some nonsensical comment followed up by an alternative intel recommendation. Also, while they offer an explanation for "effective fps" it's basically a very opinionated cherry-pick of the results they like or don't like instead of hard numbers.

Unfortunately 11th gen i7 and i9s are quite rubbish this gen, often losing in some benchmarks to the 10th gen ones, so you could look into that and see if you can snag a deal, 10th gen isn't old at all.

You might look into AMD's CPUs to see if it's worth it to you too, the direct competitor to the 11700K is the 5800X and I can't really recommend it, since the 5900X is a better chip for not a whole lot more money. Note that the B550 boards are unlocked so you can overclock any Ryzen CPU on those boards unlike intel's B560, and they're often cheaper than intel's z590 boards by a fair bit, so don't rule out AMD even if the chip seems expensive at first.

GPU:
    3060 is a nice card, it is high end and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If you have room in your budget to get a 3070 or higher then yes absolutely, go for it, but just know that even the 3060 is a good investment. Be careful here, the silicon shortage has inflated prices massively and GPUs are the most affected, so try your best to get one for near MSRP.

Memory:
    Don't get a kit of 4, just get 2 sticks, memory controllers work better with just 2 sticks. And poopipe is right, you really don't need that much RAM, especially for modeling and texturing. Software mostly just manages that stuff for you, 32GB is more than enough, so save yourself some moolah and get yourself a 2x16GB kit. I could go into more detail for why if you need it and anecdotally I have 16GB and have never seen an issue outside of 2 very select cases.

PSU:
    The unsung hero of all machines. Do. Not. Underspend. Get yourself a nice supply that can provide clean power to your high-end components. Seasonic, Corsair etc. are fantastic. I've always said a 650w was more than enough but Rocket Lake and Nvidia 3000 series draw lots of power, if you end up having both of them in your build you will need more power. Don't just look at TDP in the specs since it's usually lower than it's peak draw, try find some information about it's peak power draw and work out what you need from that.

Note: Everything I've said here is true to the best of my knowledge, but I am also very opinionated and most of what I've said is just a few small details in a large sea of information, so keep doing your own research. You don't have to listen to some pleb (me) on a forum.