Home Technical Talk

3ds Max imprecision in selecting vertex

Simbio
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Simbio polycounter lvl 7

Hi,

As you can see selecting a vertex is a nightmare whatever if is in edit poly or even UV.I try several things like reset preference in max 2019 and 2020, reinstall the driver of the video card (Nvidia 471.41) swap from nitrous 11 to 9 no change.

No lock is activated I have (move/rotate) Intersection in Gizmos Preference

I try to reset the mesh with Xform but no luck

Any advice?

Video that shows the problem

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vmtgpfp21qek2oh/2021-07-21%2019-26-12.mp4?dl=0

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    You might try switching to a single screen if you're using multiple monitors. if your using any of windows screen scaling features it might also be affecting it.
  • Simbio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simbio polycounter lvl 7
    Hi thank's for the reply yes I use 2 monitors but with other file it doesn't happen.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    If it's just happening with that model, try exporting it as an OBJ file and re-importing it. I find that fixes weird model issues most of the time.
  • Simbio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simbio polycounter lvl 7
    thank's obj -> obj nothing didn't work but  fbx -> fbx worked out.
    thank you
  • FredCM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FredCM polycounter lvl 7
    Sometimes I run through similar issues. In my case, the problem is with the size of the object vs. the system unit setup.

If my System unit is in meters, and I'm working on a portion of the mesh that is a couple of millimeters big, there's a chance of this issue to arise. Maybe it has to do with decimal approximation (1 mm = 0.001 m), but I don't know, I'm just guessing.

So, what works for me is to scale the object up 100 times, make the editing, and scale it back. It sucks, but at least, works for me.