Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Greenwood '75

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
teodar23 sublime tool
Starting to get into car modeling and wanted to try something "easy" :P

this is just the guide mesh for now.

i am shooting for a current/next gen racing game poly budget... which i don't know what it could be so... no budget!?! :D

not focusing too much on proportions, my main goal is to test out different techniques and create my own workflow.

not sure if i'm going to fully model this or just experiment with car body modeling.

Replies

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Nice start.

Definitely keep an eye out, always interested what other artists are doing expressly in the field I personally regard as a core specialty.

Subb'd :+1:

Edit:
    A mate worked on one of the earlier Forza titles, may've been 2016 horizon 3 ?!
    The one set in Australia, anyway I seem to remember him mentioning 200k+ poly budgets but don't quote me on that  :#=)
  • teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Thanks sacboi!

Since you mentioned it, what are the core skills for any 3d artist, in your opinion? Im guessing one of them is hard surface poly modeling but im curious what else is a must for any self respecting artist.

As for the budget, i am not going to worry about that very much but thanks for sharing that info anyway.

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Lists can be many and varied plus dependent upon specialization as well which I'm sure you're attuned too.

An abridged personal take, albeit generally as a hobbyist 3D Mechanical Hard Surface Artist, nowadays:

- Soft skills
    Self motivation - there will be moments when what you're paid to work on will suck hard but needs must so finalizing toward completion at the best of ones ability is entirely a must have
    Flexibility - pre covid some of us would move to where the job was, either OS or domestic locale (interstate - region, territory) thus a handy attribute to acquire, in terms of both cultural and particular studio in-house setting (specific processes of doing /actioning things)  
    Attention To Detail - cultivating an ability to interpret derived feedback via leads then effectively implementing a revision/s efficiently
    Knowledge Base Progression - being not averse to learning new tech, techniques/methods alongside adsorbing critique with maturity, in other words checking ones 'ego at the door' essentially education never stops especially in this industry, whether for beginner or seasoned vet, alike

- Aesthetics
    Art Fundamentals - namely observation, composition, proportion, color theory....etc fairly universal concepts that are applicable across all disciplines, enables a solid foundation to potentially achieve visually appealing content

- Pipeline / 'Technical' Tasks
    • High Low poly modeling (although these days not necessarily confined to polygonal)
    • Re-topology methologies
    • UV unwrapping
    • Baking
    • Efficient texture / material generation
    • Optimization
    • Lighting
    • Finalization

In my opinion the above represents a baseline to foment further creative development.
  • teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Wow, very thorough response, thank you!