Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Substance] [Autodesk Fusion 360] - Tiling Scifi Materials (Critiques/Feedback needed)

Twahl
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Twahl polycounter lvl 3
Hey all,

I'm relatively new to the Polycount forums, I have read a lot through here in the past while lurking for advice regarding 3d modeling and texture techniques but never really posted anything. Lately I have been working on a set of Scifi environment materials and textures. I was wondering if I could get some critiques on what I have currently created. I started using Substance Painter back in early 2020, so I have been working with it for a little over a year now and made a lot of progress.

For perspective, my general workflow for these textures is to:
  1. Model them using Autodesk Fusion 360 using booleans/extrusions/fillets etc.
  2. Export as a .SAT file and import the CAD geometry to 3ds Max
  3. Export high/low poly meshes (.fbx)
  4. Bake in Xnormal (.png)
  5. Open .SAT of highpoly in 3ds max, assign material ID's to body mesh faces (CAD geometry). Render to texture to create ID map (.png)
  6. Import all mesh maps (normal, curvature, AO etc) into Substance Painter to create the final PBR material. Add stamped height details for further refinement (handles, rivets, etc).

I'd love to hear some critiques and feedback on the work I have currently done. I have not put them into a game engine yet, however I have taken screenshots/renders from substance painter and also prototyped some scenes with lighting in 3ds max. Below are some screenshots of my most recent work. I'm mainly looking for feedback on the roughness values of the textures and if they might be too noisy but feel free to provide me with any perspective or criticism you might have.

My reference materials involved a wide variety of scenes that I have looked at on Artstation, as well as playing games like Dead Space and Doom. I wanted to try and make a sort of mash up of both styles (dark, rusty and grimy, but also more brutalist/military scifi like Doom). I wanted to keep a futuristic look while making the materials appear more "modern day" at the same time.

(worried about the floor texture in this one above)

Thanks in advance - I would appreciate any feedback you guys have. Take care. If I can provide any more info/pictures let me know.

Replies

• Twahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Twahl polycounter lvl 3
  • Twahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Twahl polycounter lvl 3
  • Twahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Twahl polycounter lvl 3
  • stilobique
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stilobique polycounter lvl 12
    Hello,
    good job :) . I don't have any bad agreement, your material work. Have you try to export it with Unreal or any game engine ?
    One last question, why baking with xNormal ? Bad result with Substance ?
  • Twahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Twahl polycounter lvl 3
    Hey thanks for the compliment!

I have not exported them to any game engine just yet, I have a bunch of trims I still have to do so I plan on making some modular meshes first, would like to have an environment that is more 3-dimensional to judge the lighting effects off of and whatnot. I guess I could still try porting them to UE4 regardless.

As for baking, I am currently getting good results with Xnormal which is why I kept using it. I actually have not even used the substance baker yet for anything beyond a position map, but personally from what I have read the curvature maps in Xnormal seem to give better results than painter. And the CAD > FBX geometry seems to read very well during baking within that application, so that is good.

I can post pics of my mesh maps later today if you are interested in seeing them.
  • Twahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Twahl polycounter lvl 3
    Some trim textures I worked on over the last few days. Really like how the first two images came out.

Will post more pics of the mesh maps soon.

• Twahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Twahl polycounter lvl 3
    Some modular meshes I made over the past couple of days (pipes)

Polycounts are around 1000 tris for each mesh, went for a mid-poly look since a lot of games nowadays seem to have more texture detail modeled into the details.

Rendered in substance painter.