Home Unreal Engine

Using translucent material, different static meshes act like there is z-fighting issue

grand marshal polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
Hi, 

I have this protractor model which has two static mesh parts, one if the main body of it and the other is the thin black string which starts from the center and can rotate around. 

I have a basic translucent material set to surface forward shading. All other values are default. 

The string is using a default black opaque material. 

Problem is shown in images below. In first image, the string appears as if it is behind the other mesh (but it's not). In the second image, it appears that it is above. The only difference is that I have moved the entire mesh a couple centimeters closer to the camera. It seems like there is sort of like a z-fighting issue going on, but it is based on angle, not proximity of the meshes to each other, because I did try putting more distance between the string and the protractor and that made no difference. 

Pic 1: problem

pic 2: correct 

Finally here is the translucent material that is applied to the protractor:

Also note that if I change the material to masked, the problem goes away. So it must be something going on with way this is rendered that I don't know about.

Replies