Home Technical Talk

[3DsMax] Multiple circles with the same diameter ?

Mir76
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Mir76 polycounter lvl 3
Hello.
I'd like to create circles with the same diameter each time.

With this technique it does not work. The circles that move away are bigger.

I came from Blender and everything is easier.

Thank you so much.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A couple options here:

1. Convert to Editable Spline, then duplicate/scale the circle in Spline sub-object mode. They'll all be a part of the same object though, not separate Instance objects.

2. Reset the scale transform after you duplicate/scale them, using the Utility "Reset XForm". They'll be converted to References though, so each can have their own XForm modifier. A bit different from Instances.
  • Mir76
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mir76 polycounter lvl 3
    Thank you very much for the help.
    I still have things to learn !

Thanks

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    The most flexible/best practice method is to use the sweep modifier and instance it onto each circle. (Right click copy the modifier and paste-instanced onto the other objects modifier stacks) 

Possibly a bit on the advanced max usage side but a really good habit to get into

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    However, they scaled the circles, so that defeats any subsequent modifiers as they'll inherit the scale transform. They have to either not scale when they duplicate, or else reset the transforms, or else work in subobject mode.
  • Mir76
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mir76 polycounter lvl 3
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    However, they scaled the circles, so that defeats any subsequent modifiers as they'll inherit the scale transform. They have to either not scale when they duplicate, or else reset the transforms, or else work in subobject mode.
    Indeed.  I wouldn't have scaled them.  I'd leave everything uncollapsed and adjust radius using parameters