Home Technical Talk

[3ds Max] Can't Make Arch & Design Wood Glossy Enough?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Dubious_Fellow polycounter lvl 7
Howdy, I'm trying to make a realistic, home-made (heavily varnished) wooden base. The top looks cool, but I'm having real difficulties with the sides and its chamfer. Instead of white highlights, I'm getting a dull grey 'sanded' effect. I'm guessing it has something to with the floor material reflecting off of it, or maybe the angle of the ray-trace?:

Here are my settings in Max 2010 (perpetual licence):

And the light positions:

I've tried so many things, but nothing seems to work, any ideas?

Replies

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Is there a reason why you are not using HDRI? Also your angle of reflection is going to equal that of your light placement. So just for the bevel, get a target light aimed at it, go into your camera view and move the light up and down till you get reflection. Folks and engines have switched to PBR so your reflection and specular effect would be down to roughness and metalness. In the older system your white highlight (when you get one) will be influenced heavily by your specular settings.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, what version of Max is that? Haven't seen the old snakes icon in a long time.

Also look for the Place Highlight tool in Max, should help you move the light into a position where it reflects the specular back at the camera.