Home Marmoset

Anti-Aliasing in viewport, is increasing it possible?

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
DavidCruz interpolator
tldr;
Can this be customized at all by the user or is it hard coded in the .exe?
I haven't tried to play with the AA option in 3, since i can't touch 4 atm.
(taking bout the renderer, not enabling AA on maps more edges of the mesh on lower res.)

longer:
By my outsiders observations, it seems the option of 1/2 quality resolution just nukes all other options.  That is good and all but then someone like me (being the odd ball out i suppose) wants to use AA on a lower res version of the scene.  (actually selective options to lower certain things and keep others would be great, hope that is not asking a lot, like an all 1/2 and a simple custom 1/2 called "selective" if you decide this is a worth while addition.)

Asking because i render the turn around or screen cap then use an alternative source to AA to my pleasure (dual encoding which is a no no in video editing i hear) and if i can somehow just increase the code in the app its self like possibly with a custom script, or force editing other things.
Obviously for myself and my videos, idk what is allowed when we start editing things we probably shouldn't.
I dabbled in video editing (for a time) so i know a thing or 3 bout what might help out a lot more than what was going on, a.f.a.i.k. this wasn't updated in 4?

Not a rush for an answer just something that came to mind now.

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi David, could you provide more information? It's not clear which feature(s) in particularly you're asking about or what your goal is.

The thread title mentions video encoding, however you talk about 1/2 quality. What do you mean by that? If you mean the resolution setting that you set in the Render object in Toolbag 3, that is only for viewport preview and has no effect on the final rendered image quality. For rendered images/video the resolution is set explicitly in Capture Settings (Ctrl + P). Sampling (anti-aliasing quality) can be set here as well.

In Toolbag 4, resolution and sampling is set in the Render object, in the Output > Image and Video sections respectively.

"it seems the option of 1/2 quality resolution just nukes all other options"

Which options are you referring to?

"(actually selective options to lower certain things and keep others would be great, hope that is not asking a lot, like an all 1/2 and a simple custom 1/2 called "selective" if you decide this is a worth while addition.)"

Can you tell me more about this? Specifically selective in what context, and which things you want to lower, as well as what lower means in this context - low the resolution, lower video compression quality, something else?
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    t l d r;
    I do appreciate your time and effort in this situation, so to make this really simple for you i only really need to know if the Anti-Aliasing (in Viewport, apart from Rendering) can be increased with editing
    So that when i view super low poly objects i do not see the jagged edges anymore and if not it is fine i just wanted to ask before i edited anything and if i was even allowed to. 
    (My screen recording workaround mentioned below works, but wanted to save an extra step or two.)

Long:
    "1/2 quality, What do you mean by that?" 
    Below this sentence the Resolution options here

//Showing both the resolution and Anti-Aliasing with this image.
    You got it, the Viewport setting for Anti-aliasing, increasing this to remove the jagged edges.<The whole threads purpose.

Bunched up the other stuff to just address what i need below i am not ignoring what i asked or what you asked i just feel i made a mistake in trying to make this simple for a simple response. (My fault.)
    "it seems the option of 1/2 quality resolution just nukes all other options"
    Which options are you referring to?
    "(actually selective options to lower certain things and keep others would be great, hope that is not asking a lot, like an all 1/2 and a simple custom 1/2 called "selective" if you decide this is a worth while addition.)
    Can you tell me more about this? Specifically selective in what context, and which things you want to lower, as well as what lower means in this context - low the resolution, lower video compression quality, something else?"
    //Addressing everything here:
    The AA for the Viewport without rendering, guess it is an odd inquiry to begin with but i was curious if it could be edited to both utilize the Resolution to 1:2 (Half) and Increase from what is available, the Anti-aliasing at the same time, still within the viewport. (So no rendering) the Jagged edges are my issue.

The main reasoning for all of this is I have a very hard time with the camera, when i "Free-Roam / Manually move + Record Frames" the way i want the camera to move upon rendering. 
    (It is probably a me thing and a time thing, in that i just want it to record as i move the scene about)
    When i try to do this manually and use the auto key option it fly's around everywhere and to remedy this i just Screen-Record with an alternative video encoder (it is much quicker) and my situation is the Anti-Aliasing stands out too much for my liking and i wanted to be able to alter it in some way, i.e. increasing it where i need it, as much as i need, so an additional, x6,x8,10x,x12+ and so on, is what i am looking to do (myself) if it was possible. 
    //End

//The other stuff with lowering settings is just so people in my situation with older hardware can still do things but i just have to accept that i either get new stuff or stop doing this.

This will probably be my last thread about M3, its basically old software now and don't want to bug anyone about old stuff when we are all 'moving onto the new stuff'.

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @DavidCruz thanks that makes sense.

No, it is not possible to set the Anti-Aliasing value to higher than 4x in Toolbag 3.

As to animation playback specifically, anti-aliasing is not available during animation. Toolbag uses a temporal anti-aliasing technique where multiple frames are averaged together to provide AA. This is not possible during animation or when moving the camera as the next and last frames are too different. You may notice the AA only starts to kick in when the viewport is still and animation is paused.

The best way to reduce edge jaggedness would be to set the resolution to 2:1 (Double), this will render a larger image and multi-sample it to soften the edges. This may not work well with older hardware though, depending on scene complexity.

PS: Questions about Toolbag 3 and not a problem! I just needed to check because 3 and 4 work differently in some ways - settings have been moved around and things like that.