Home Adobe Substance

Substance Painter on Steam? - Questions

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Sloth_42 polycounter lvl 2
Hi,
as many probably know Substance Painter is on sale on Steam currently. I have a few important questions I'd like to know before I buy it though. I know some of these questions have been alluded to in previous topics, but not to the extent I'd like.

1) Is it worth getting? Ive heard many negative things about Substance ever since Adobe completed their integration process in June. What changed and how does this compare to previous version?

2) Do I need to login to a 3rd party launcher or account, when using the Steam ver. (for example Adobe/Substance account)?

3) I know SP on Steam only grants you updates for 1 calender year, but do I still get to keep the software after the year is over? (without updates ofc) 

4) Can I run it without Steam running? (kinda important to me) 

Would be grateful for any answers, as the sale will be over in 4 days.

Cheers

Replies

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    1. Adobe  version does  basic procedural geometry  modelling now  and has raytrace nodes that could  produce better AO . environment  lighting and  baked shadows from height  input.
    2. you need to log in only to steam account
    3. yes, it works after indefinitely
    4. No, it runs through Steam . Sometimes has

ps.   poin1 is about Substance Designer , haven't tried Painter  yet . 

• Sloth_42
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop said:
    1. Adobe  version does  basic procedural geometry  modelling now  and has raytrace nodes that could  produce better AO . environment  lighting and  baked shadows from height  input.
    2. you need to log in only to steam account
    3. yes, it works after indefinitely
    4. No, it runs through Steam . Sometimes has

ps.   poin1 is about Substance Designer , haven't tried Painter  yet . 

Awesome, thanks!

I heard that, in the past, you could link your Steam account to your Substance account and they allowed you to download a standalone version after you proved your purchase. (i.e run it without Steam). Is that correct and does it still work on Adobes new infrastructure? Some people say it doesnt work anymore but Im not sure.

cheers
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Linking to a standalone is not available anymore as the legacy licensing system is being replaced ay Adobe's.
  • Sloth_42
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc said:
    Linking to a standalone is not available anymore as the legacy licensing system is being replaced ay Adobe's.

Ahhhh, thats an absolute shame. Not optimal, at all
    Thanks for the reply though