Home Marmoset

Weird baking artifacts in Marmoset from highpoly to lowpoly (Solved)

(Solved)
Hi everyone! I'm baking normal maps in Marmoset, and I have and issue. Some sort of artifacts has appeared in my texture, it is like the wireframe has baked on the normal map.
As you can see in the shiny part. 
Here is the topology of low poly mesh.

Don't what could this be
Any help would be awesome

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generally this happens when your low poly mesh normals are very extreme (normals all smoothed with no bevels or control loops to control shading), and the area has relatively limited texture resolution running along long, thin triangles. So what happens is the normal map has to do a lot of work to compensate for the shading, and if you don't have enough resolution it won't be able to do a very good job.

Solutions to this are generally:
    - Use hard edges (smoothing groups in max) to make the mesh normals less extreme/give the normal map less work to do
    - Add bevels to the low poly for similar reasons
    - Increase texture resolution
  • vaspo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generally this happens when your low poly mesh normals are very extreme (normals all smoothed with no bevels or control loops to control shading), and the area has relatively limited texture resolution running along long, thin triangles. So what happens is the normal map has to do a lot of work to compensate for the shading, and if you don't have enough resolution it won't be able to do a very good job.

Solutions to this are generally:
    - Use hard edges (smoothing groups in max) to make the mesh normals less extreme/give the normal map less work to do
    - Add bevels to the low poly for similar reasons
    - Increase texture resolution
    Thank you!

What I did finally was incresing resolution up to 4K and that minimized the artifacts then rebake that texture again to lower resolution and artifacts are barely visible. I'll have in mind your tips!