Home Career & Education

I need Advice

MRALO
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
MRALO polycounter lvl 2
Hello everyone, I hope you're having a good  day!!
Since I got my first PC, all I wanted to do is to playing games and someday learn how to make them.
so I hope you would advise and support me when I finished my B.Sc. in computer science.
I shift my career (at a bad time, don't have much time, and I need to get back on my feet).
So for the last three months, I've been studying 3D by watching tutorials for Maya, Substance(Painter, Design), Zbrush, and Unreal Engine.
When I watch the tutorials and follow them, my work is quite good, but when I try to apply it to a new project, I feel lost, not looks good, and not even close to what I want,
and I am getting upset, especially there are many tutorials, and many information.
There is no one to advise or guide me when I work , and I feel I'm not gain any experience and I waste my time.
I'm sorry if I bother anyone but I'm really need help me  because I'm really very upset.

Replies

• Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    You can post your projects here on Polycount and get feedback. 3 months isnt much especially if you are trying to learn modeling + texturing + sculpting. Maybe start with the basics, practice 3D modeling + proper UVing first then texturing. When you get good results after making a couple of props for instance you can move on to sculpting if that is something you really want to learn as well.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Three months is very little time. If you can open one of these programs, make a model which resembles something, texture it, and export it, you are doing probably as good as anyone in same boat. 

There is in fact people available to guide you. You have the entire internet which is full of all the advice needed. Just a matter of finding it. But there is also plenty of communities like this one where people are usually willing to help on a more personal basis so long as it's clear you are making real effort. 

If you make a work in progress thread for one of your models, show what you are trying to do, what you've done so far, and then bring up specific problems you need help with, chances are you'll get the help you need. If you leverage help from other people you can make art that is actually a lot better than you could do on your own.

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    as stated above, three months is no time at all.  I started down this road in 1995, I've done every 3d/game related job you can imagine and I still don't know everything (not quite anyway :D) .

to avoid getting disheartened set yourself small, deliberate goals (eg. build a tv or a piano) - These are things you can do fairly quickly (in a week or two) as a beginner and each one of these tasks will teach you something. It's important to try and mostly finish them - dont stop at the modelling phase, get some materials on there, do a nice render etc. 
    If you post the results here you'll generally get good, well-meaning, constructive critique from the vast majority of forum members (not me though, I'm a bastard) 

For now, don't get bogged down in technicalities - at the beginning you dont want to be worrying about optimisation, baking normal maps, or making things "game ready"  - just get comfortable making shit and colouring it in, you can learn the technical stuff later.