Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Architect changing to Environment Art / Matte Painting - Advice and Portfolio Critique Wanted

node
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
einnemee node
I am an architectural designer with 10 years of experience looking to break into the VFX industry as an environment artist / matte painter. I have an architectural and 3D modelling background and am interested in spaces, environments, cities, sci-fi, fantasy and natural landscapes etc. I'm wondering where to spend my time learning as I have started a few projects on Maya that I could expand on and a 2D matte painting course. Most of my previous work is design related and not focused on the final execution of perfect visuals/ animations. My issue is that the software requirements do not overlap much between the two industries (apart from Photoshop and 3dsMax) and I need to know where to focus my effort. There are a lot of transferable skills that I can bring across which may or may not be apparent from the portfolio work, for example, knowing how to run a design project from start to finish, knowing how to work with clients and other team members, managing complex architectural models, good software management skills, training staff etc. 

Where do I take it from here without starting completely from scratch in my career? Any comments on my situation and portfolio would be very much appreciated.

https://www.artstation.com/einnemee

I'm happy to comment back if anyone else wants critique on their portfolios. 

Thank you!