Home Technical Talk

Blending two objects together without shading issues

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hello I'm new to polygonal modeling in general, reached the point where I have sufficient knowledge to make most kinds of shapes given the time frame but still haven't set out to do any cool stuff. My texturing is definitely lacking behind so idk what really is possible during that phase, but I've seen people apply the "chamfer modifier" to weld parts together" in vray/arnold etc. 

My question is, in this case, how would I go about modeling this leg part without actually making at least the cylindrical parts the same object as the foot? The 2 is probably just extruded and chamfered right? 

I'm using Max. 

Replies

• x0rec
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Thanez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez interpolator
    It depends what your end product is. If it's a render, doing it in arnold is a nice quick option that'll net you some nice results. If you want this in game, it's usually easier to boolean some of these shapes and do a proper hard-surface workflow to it.
    Either way, 1 is a floater with some geo cut out of it to fit the foot, and 2 would be easier to model as one object.
  • x0rec
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez said:
    It depends what your end product is. If it's a render, doing it in arnold is a nice quick option that'll net you some nice results. If you want this in game, it's usually easier to boolean some of these shapes and do a proper hard-surface workflow to it.
    Either way, 1 is a floater with some geo cut out of it to fit the foot, and 2 would be easier to model as one object.
    Thanks for your answer man.

Right now, I just want to learn and finish some projects without tearing my hair out and getting down on myself for not being able to get it right. 

I'll probably go with the quick floater way to begin with. If you don't mind me asking, what specifically is this called for me to look up how to do it? In the above image, the intersecting objects(1) look like they have somewhat of a welded seam? 
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    the quickest way to figure out right way to do it is to do it wrong.
  • Thanez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez interpolator
    If you google "'whatever modeling package you're using' boolean" you should come up on top.
    If you have major issues, post your attempt here: https://polycount.com/discussion/56014/how-the-f-do-i-model-this-reply-for-help-with-specific-shapes-post-attempt-before-asking/p185#latest
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick admin note @x0rec there's no need to mark a reply like @Alex_J 's as Spam when it's not spam. (posted by a long time member, who is still quite active, check their profile for info)

If you think it's abusive, try the Flag: Report button, and write a quick description to help us understand why.

In this case however, I think this is valid advice, from someone with considerable experience. (with failure, har har! <3 ).

We learn from trying, and often failing, examining where we failed, and moving forward. Learning can be frustrating, but it's ultimately valuable to try many approaches to learn which works when, and why they do.

A great post on this topic: 
    I hope this helps you.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was waiting to reset the Spam flag until the OP returned, to keep the context, but they haven't logged in since they made the original post. So I'm removing the flag now. If anyone has any questions, feel free to message me any time.