Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] [UE4/5] Photogrammetry based skateboard - experimenting with Nanite vs baked model

ngon master
Online / Send Message
ZacD ngon master
Just finished the highpoly model after sitting on this model/scan for over a year. Figured it would be a great way to start experimenting with UE5 and Nanite, and seeing if I can texture a high poly model and have that bake down to the lowpoly, kinda do 2 work flows at once and compare.

Highpoly is mostly done, need to sharpen some edges, clean up hidden areas, and double check measurements against the real world reference. 

Goals:

Clean highpoly model with very even topology in order to UV and subdivide without the textures stretching. Model and texture each individual part as accurately as possible.

Texture the subdiv model and bake it to the low poly.

Figure out some new best practices and do some comparisons in UE5 of the 2 approaches. 

Replies

• ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Going all in on the low poly for now, will go back to trying to texture the high poly for Nanite after I make a finished low poly model.

Test bake and some smart materials thrown into UE5. I need to learn how to do some blending transitions between color IDs in Painter. Some material IDs didn't bake and I need to randomize the nuts.

10k tris, 1x 2048x2048 texture.

• Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    looking good so far. Im interested in seeing the comparison. UVing the highpoly I would hope isnt too bad on shapes like this?
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah the low poly and high poly before subdividing are very similar, so UVing them both will basically be the same. 

Made a custom graphic for the deck.

• Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Looks awesome! I'm a bit confused about what the scanned mesh is being used for though? Are you going to bake from the scanned mesh to the high-poly you're mentioning? Or is the scan just functioning as a kind of 3D reference?
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah the scan was just used as modeling reference, tried out some retopology techniques, so parts are a mix of approaches. This type of model is too clean to really just scan and bake that.
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master

So this project got a bit sidetracked due to getting commissioned to make a custom textured version of this asset for an existing game. Here's the finished result of that.

I'm still going to see about texturing the highpoly. And will have to come up with another graphic that I can distribute.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    great result it looks very believable anyway