Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

NN-14 Blaster [Feedback]

Toby3D
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Toby3D polycounter lvl 6
Decided to try to jump over to hard-surface modelling, mainly weapons and the NN-14 is a pretty basic model. Did some minor changes to it, but tried to keep it as close to the original as possible. Would love for some feedback.

Replies

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Textures can be improved and via the SW cannon this was originally Han Solo's personal weapon so presumably decades old but doesn't in my opinion read's as such?! the large grungy scratches in particular look too procedural lacking any noticeable variation plus high frequency 'metallic alloy' details aren't defined as they should. Whether fictional or not, plausibility is a key facet in order to really sell something well to an audience.

Anyhow, I'd highly recommend browsing this linked discussion, a ton of great pro tips coupled with other helpful advice to push your model to the next level - https://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2623619/#Comment_2623619

Edit:
    Since, on a side note I'm a 3D print fan so thought it fairly useful to just also post an example of a full sized replica, finished in Chrome / Aluminum for the NN-14 frame and perforated barrel. Using all the tricks of their trade...never ceases to amaze what these guys continue to output:

• Toby3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toby3D polycounter lvl 6
    sacboi said:
    Textures can be improved and via the SW cannon this was originally Han Solo's personal weapon so presumably decades old but doesn't in my opinion read's as such?! the large grungy scratches in particular look too procedural lacking any noticeable variation plus high frequency 'metallic alloy' details aren't defined as they should. Whether fictional or not, plausibility is a key facet in order to really sell something well to an audience.

Anyhow, I'd highly recommend browsing this linked discussion, a ton of great pro tips coupled with other helpful advice to push your model to the next level - https://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2623619/#Comment_2623619

Edit:
    Since, on a side note I'm a 3D print fan so thought it fairly useful to just also post an example of a full sized replica, finished in Chrome / Aluminum for the NN-14 frame and perforated barrel. Using all the tricks of their trade...never ceases to amaze what these guys continue to output:

Wow, thanks for the feedback! This is my first realistic piece so I have a lot to learn, but I'm probably going to first make sure my base material looks good, then step it up one thing at a time. I think my biggest issue right now is how to get roughness and metallic to look correct(good) and making sure dirt, scratches and such is placed realistic, were these types of details would appear in real life. 

Thanks for the links, seems to be some real helpful stuff in there. :) 
  • Toby3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toby3D polycounter lvl 6
    Decided to go back and make some changes to my texture. Still not 100% sure about the metallic. Pretty happy with the plastic. I did check how the gun looks in the movie and it's not really that dirty, but kinda hard to see. I'm also not really sure how to bring out the really small details in the metallic through marmoset(unless I really zoom in).