Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Watercolor Village

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
InvaderRoxas polycounter lvl 4
Hi everyone! I just wrapped up working on this stylized project based on a concept by Kemineko (link to concept/artist below). I've been wanting to try my hand at translating a 2D traditional painterly style into 3D, and absolutely fell in love with this concept. I'd love to hear any and all feedback on this so I can improve going forward—thanks in advance!

Concept by Kemineko: 

Full Artstation breakdown: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/rArL4e

Replies

• KODA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KODA polycounter lvl 3
    Hi Daphne! 
    What an amazing work! A beautiful environment, love your colors, Zelda vibes <3
    I love it  =) 
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    This looks great! Can I offer some crit?
    - The concept has a lot of curved, angled, or wobble edges/lines. This gave the concept a cute cartoony vibe which I think you missed a bit. A lot of your edges are very straight and vertical or horizontal.
    - I think the contrast in the textures could have been increased.

Great work, looks super cute :)
  • N0RTHBIRD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    N0RTHBIRD node
    Lovely work! The painterly style in your textures really makes this feel like an illustration on first glance. I really like this piece and seeing the breakdown on Artstation.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I love it. 

The major difference I notice from the concept art is that you have noticeable perfect CG lines. 

The stairs and cobblestone roof stand out. I think using a little bit more geometry to exaggerate their waviness would take your scene from 10 to 11.

Also in the concept the perspective is a little weird. Some of the buildings appear like they aren't aligned to the same grid. Some things face you, others are skewed. 
    That is another subtle thing that lends charm. I think just by rotating your whole buildings a little bit you can add a lot of charm. 
  • hasgan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hasgan polycounter lvl 7
    this looks cute! well done!
    if I can give some input the stairs could get some moss/plants
    also you could make an animation with still camera like in concept but with animation (water and leaves), I'm sure it looks awesome
  • kateblacks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kateblacks polycounter lvl 4
    This is so nice! I love the light, watercolor feel to it!
  • InvaderRoxas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InvaderRoxas polycounter lvl 4
    @kateblacks @hasgan @Alex_J @N0RTHBIRD @Ashervisalis @KODA Thank you all for the kind words! Very much appreciated!! 

@Ashervisalis @hasgan @Alex_J And thank you also for the crit! I definitely agree with all of your points, especially when it comes to my geometry kind of being too "perfect" to really capture the entire essence of the artist's concept. That's something I'm definitely going to be working on moving forward, as well as balancing my contrast better—I have a tendency of overdoing contrast it in the past, so I suppose I was a little too afraid to do the same here, haha. But I totally see it now! Looking forward to taking this feedback and applying it on my next project, thank you all again!