Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - Abandoned Asylum

triangle
Hi Guys,

I want to share with the community the last personal project I´m working on. I wanted to create a personal environment project, and I decided that I wanted to create an abandoned asylum, so I will be sharing here the advances, if you have some tips or tricks that you can share with me on how to improve it I would highly appreciate it.

First, I´ll start by sharing the reference images I started with, this are some of them (these are from the website behind closed doors, which focuses on urban exploration, you can check it out it is great).

The first one is the most important one I´m using for building my scene, as I thought it´s composition and theme was great. It has a clear focal point and mood, and I wanted something similar.

Replies

• Jean_Pierre_Varg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jean_Pierre_Varg triangle
    So first I started by modeling the walls as modular pieces, these are pretty simple. At first the shapes I did were "too straight", so I decided to add a bit more geometry and skew some verts here and there, to make it more "human" and less CG. This is a subtle effect, but I think it really has paid off for now:

(sorry for the maya culling issue :D  )

Here are some more details screenshots of the module, I added more GEO at this point because I had already started to play a bit with vertex paint in UE4.

• Jean_Pierre_Varg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Later I decided to bring everything to UE4, and started adding Megascan textures and props, trying to figure out the mood and composition, and also playing a bit more with the storytelling. As there is cradle in the scene, and it´s the main focal point, I wanted to push it further. So I started to imagine a story of a haunted - horror type child asylum with a tragic story, in which a children's spirit makes levitate things, probably his old toys.

I added a very very rough lighting pass to the environment as I want to focus more on the composition and storytelling.

• Jean_Pierre_Varg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now I´m focusing more in the environment textures, working the walls and floor of it as these are the bigger ones. I will work the bigger parts first and later the smaller props, I think this way I can build a more cohesive environment faster. I have started to add grunge and wear to the textures so that it is more similar to some of the images in the references:

This is the most tricky part of the enviontment creation process for me, and I'm still working on it. I try to bring every texture as soon as I can to engine so I can check how it looks in context, I don´t want to loose track of my goal, which is creating a cohesive environment.

• Jean_Pierre_Varg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been working on the walls texture, here are some improvements:

• Minase_Hoshigaki
    Firstly I would say add more dirt and dust along the contact points i.e. corners, where it touches floor and other objects. Thats where they pile up.  Abd you floor material needs to be more interesting. Maybe add more breakup, dirt etc.  and stuff like torn carpets etc. Overall looks cool. I like where this is going. 
  • Jean_Pierre_Varg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firstly I would say add more dirt and dust along the contact points i.e. corners, where it touches floor and other objects. Thats where they pile up.  Abd you floor material needs to be more interesting. Maybe add more breakup, dirt etc.  and stuff like torn carpets etc. Overall looks cool. I like where this is going. 

Thanks! I will Add more break up eventually, I had actually that prepared on my Master Material, with a more dusty version for vertex paint. I'm working on composition and ligthing right now

• Sheers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the scene setup, it's going to be a good one!

If you can introduce a vert blended material for the wall that is a moss/grime around the pipe area, it'll give you another color that'll dress the wall's up better.  You can also do a more worn out wallpaper wall texture that has peeled off elements.  It'll help, even adding it early on since you're focusing on texture work atm.