Home Technical Talk

texturing buildings - strategies

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
so have been working on this for a while, but was mainly procedural textures. So if i wanted to bake them down in to textures
for a game engine, what woud be the best approach

here the archway has around six unique textures. should i join all the elements together and have six multi sub textures
or make 1 big texture sheet which would be a pain re tling the bricks. was never sure of the approach re modern games, xbox stuff we just made
texture sheets with all the texture on 1 map, maybe even 2 or 3 maps
any advice would be cool
so also yeah is it best to join buildings as 1 big chunk or maintain instances( for windows for example

will probably be a VR scene

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Multiple separate textures for the tioeables stuff  then share them with other buildings.

Use trim sheets and atlases  for smaller details, trims etc

How you split the models up generally isn't a big deal unless you're dealing with a lot of things - depends on the engine though.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Cool,cheers for the info - that's more or les how I have done them minus any trim sheets yet. never really though about doing trim sheets for say litle electrical cables, maybe even multiple chimney pots

re optimization , will play that by ear, see what frame rates i get. Its quite  big environemnt, but lots of the textures are re used