Home Career & Education

Is it worth applying to positions outside of EU? (US, Canada, Australia)

lluc21
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
lluc21 polycounter lvl 5
I'm just wondering if it's even worth applying to positions as a Junior Artist in those countries? I see a lot of job postings there but I'm not sure if it makes sense applying as the visa seems to be quite hard to get and only given under very specific cases.

I am not sure how relocation outside of the EU works, but I know US is basically impossible unless you're a beast (from what I've read).

No idea about Canada and Australia though. Is it common for studios there to offer relocation assistance for juniors if you don't have the visa figured out?

Replies

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    For the foreseeable future, you can scratch Australia off your list. Our controls for border - ports of entry / exit are quite strict, even for  Australian citizens which is mainly due too guarding against certain virulent covid strains entering the country.

"No idea about Canada and Australia though. Is it common for studios there to offer relocation assistance for juniors if you don't have the visa figured out?"

Not that I've seen nor heard of?!

Besides, in the last decade or more we've not had an established gaming scene here since the Federal Grants Scheme was withdrawn causing mass studio closures alongside relocation abroad.

Now, for what it's worth, my advice is continue to progress in your chosen discipline and for the time being at least, apply too studios within the EU. A much less expensive proposition coupled with better chance of securing an applicable role.
  • lluc21
    Offline / Send Message
    lluc21 polycounter lvl 5
    Well, sort of expected that answer but was kind of hoping to be proved wrong lol
    It's fine applying just inside the EU, as there are plenty of things but I've seen a couple positions outside, mostly in Canada and US that were very interesting and was wondering if companies take juniors overseas or not.
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    it can happen but most of the time you will need to cut your teeth in the EU first and get some experience under your belt to be eligible for a work visa in other countries. A lot of the time your work history/experience needs to be proved that it is higher than any local candidate in order to get a work visa.

For senior level positions is it much more feasable because you can leverage experience and a higher salary level to meet more work visa requirements. Most of the time companies would love to hire more juniors from abroad as it opens up their talent pool, but its the countries themselves who are the gatekeepers not the studios. remote work is now helping to break down those borders and should become more and more viable over the coming years. 
  • lluc21
    Offline / Send Message
    lluc21 polycounter lvl 5
    it can happen but most of the time you will need to cut your teeth in the EU first and get some experience under your belt to be eligible for a work visa in other countries. A lot of the time your work history/experience needs to be proved that it is higher than any local candidate in order to get a work visa.

For senior level positions is it much more feasable because you can leverage experience and a higher salary level to meet more work visa requirements. Most of the time companies would love to hire more juniors from abroad as it opens up their talent pool, but its the countries themselves who are the gatekeepers not the studios. remote work is now helping to break down those borders and should become more and more viable over the coming years. 
    Ok, thanks for the insight! I'll stick to EU and freelance for now then