Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Crumbling Cottage - UE4 Environment

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
JamieRead greentooth

Yo!

It's been a couple of years or so since I've been active on Polycount, so I wanted to change that with my new environment project!

For this one I want to make some kind of interior space, which is smaller in scale than the Sunset Glade environment I finished a couple of months back. This will make for a nice contrast from that piece and I can also finish it in much less time :D

I toyed with a handful of different designs and concepts, but ended up sketching my own concept again. The idea is to create an old English cottage hallway, which is crumbling away into in a surreal, dream-like sky.

Here was the quick sketch I drew. Nothing pretty, but got the overall vision down on paper.

A wall of picture frames with various animal portraits, landscape paintings and mirrors line the left side, with a wooden case of old books topped with a vase of flowers and some sort of little ornament along the right. Crooked wooden floor planks are lined with a long floral runner rug, which is flapping in the void at the end of the passage. Books, picture frames and chunk of plaster/brick (haven't decided 100% yet) are being pulled out of the crumbling part of the cottage and into the sky.

Some of the ideas are a little loose and will evolve slightly as the project progresses, but that's half the fun of working from a concept in your mind!

I've tried not to grab tons of reference images this time around, instead trying to distill the amount down into a handful of very useful ones.

I was inspired by the Valorant map Ascent, which has buildings being ripped apart and suspended in mid-air. Mix that with an architecture style I'm more familiar with and the seed for Crumbling Cottage was born.

I have made an early blockout using bsp brushes in Unreal, which I've then turned into a static mesh, imported into Maya and twisted the end clockwise a little. Here's the latest WIP image:

The next steps is to break apart this ugly blockout mesh into more refined, usable components and get a physically accurate lighting setup implemented.

More updates coming soon!

Thanks for reading this first post. Any comments and feedback are greatly appreciated :)

Jamie.