Home General Discussion

UV Checker Map Maker

Replies

• FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    That's a cool quick UV checker generator. Only if it also had optional adjustable arrows too, together or without letters and numbers. Nowadays I use arrowed UV checkers to see quickly which way my UV islands are, related to the world position of the object.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oooh yeah, arrows are a good idea. A bit better than letters, but it's also useful to see whether the UV is mirrored or not. 
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Makes me feel so backwards with my node based checker material. Simple squares, muted colors, perhaps direction could be indicated with an overlayed gradient - but how can you look at a psychedelic texture like those posted above for days while unwrapping - and not go mad?

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For me, circles really help, much easier to judge distortions with circles than with squares. 

Also nice to have a subtle 1pixel checker, easier to see distortions.

And letters like R or F to tell if the UV is flipped backwards.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    yep agree on the circles and a pixel grid would really be good. knowing how big a pixel is on the final texture is still pretty important to me/us
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Sounds like a heart shape pattern would be ideal then: distortion, direction clearly indicated. Make it pink on green background for ideal contrast. Perfect! :)

Ihr Warmduscher!
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
     <this is the size i got it at, anyone got a higher res i'd be interested.

Cool site thanks for sharing, didn't use the site don't visit unique sites much anymore, afaik someone used this site and made these two i picked up.  I had another one but you can see errors in it, dotted with 512 squares / arrows, i noticed the dots do not line up so i didn't want to post a somewhat "faulty", checker map.

I collect the ones i feel might be useful (have a few) so i am also sharing whom ever made these two, i use the top one the most.  No arrows since letters/numbers will basically tell you which way is up.

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    i made that green/blue checker.
    there is no real need for higher res. just tile it.
    its 512 now, if you want to check 1024 you tile it 2x in each direction. 2048 is 4x in each direction, 4096 is 8x in each direction.

"Make it pink on green background for ideal contrast"
    my checker comes from times when unwrapping took as long as the modelling part. staring on a contrasty checker for hours at a time was just a chore. thats why i dont think maximum contrast is really helpful.

about the heart shapes, they do not show you if they are mirrored ^^

• SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    couldn't change the font, propably because of a german windows version ?

• byValle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    byValle triangle
    Hey guys! Thanks for the comments about the tool. I have added the "arrows" option on top of the letters, plus a new "coordinates" option to show "0,0" rather than "A1".
    I have also added the Order options, in case you want the origin of the map to start at the bottom left corner instead of at the top.
    http://uvchecker.byvalle.com

Happy to hear more recommendations that can make it better for you!
    Cheers
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome! And tool makers interacting with artists, one of the great things about this forum.

I put some tips here for features that help with a grid:
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Uv#UV_Map_Grids

A couple features that might be nice to add:
    • A fine per-pixel checker, for detecting smaller distortions.
    • A large gradient, creating unique colors across the map, to see where the UV is tiling.
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Hey, cool of your finding your way here @byValle, and thanks for the arrows updates, it makes creating those UV grids even more fun, haha.