Home Technical Talk

Photogrammetry Tips and Advice?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Oblivion2500 polycounter lvl 6
Is having photogrammetry props in your portfolio good for a 3D environment artist? What tips and advice should I know about photogrammetry? I have done some in the past with an iPhone XS with pretty decent results. I do want to get a real photography camera.

What tips do you guys have for creating high-quality photogrammetry models in Reality Capture and Meshroom? Is optical zoom okay to use on-camera or should that be avoided? I know that cloudy days are the best time to take photos. 

Replies

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Run a quick forum search, tons of insight just waiting too be mined, here:
    Photogrammetry Thread
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
     You can use Zoom if it's same zoom (focus distance) across the series .  Otherwise  your soft would struggle to match the photos.
    But your main struggle would be enough light.   Since the  cloudy days are already dim and  you need to close your diaphragm up to f8  or f11   any  zoom would extra limit  an amount of light coming to your camera matrix = require shorter exposure time to compensate wobbling.     Besides  some prime (non zoom) lenses often ( but not always)  provide better crispness/resolution  in f8-f11 range.       Still could be helpful if you can't shot from close distance 

You need a pretty decent pc  for photogrammetry with  enough RAM is a key.   32 gb  is a minimum imo  + also decent cpu and gpu. 

Many things are easier to model and texture  manually . Photogrammetry wouldn't make you more efficient . It's  true like  look  what it can provide  that you otherwise spend forever in something like Substance Designer.     So take you subjects wisely . 

As of portfolio  I have no idea .  They are so misleading  nowadays  and grants nothing.   I had one decades ago  but always got my jobs rather through  previous job contacts and personal recommendations .   Although  I   have never worked  for big companies with armies of artists and HR department.   Been working  for my current employer/customer  for more than 15 years already as an independent business.