Home Technical Talk

3DS Max - Textures not updating in material editor

Lots of times when I overwrite a texture from Photoshop or 3D Coat it will not update in 3DS Max 2020. Max basically still has the old version in memory. The Reload button in the material editor will not help at all. Assigning the texture again will also not work. In the "select bitmap image file" dialog the thumbnail shows the correct texture, but the preview at the bottom is still the old image and opening it gives me the old image too.

Sometimes selecting a completely unrelated texture and then assigning the desired updated texture does the trick. But right now (After changing a texture in 3D Coat) even that doesn't work. The image file is recognized by any other software, but 3DS max is happy with the old version and refuses to refresh it. Even reopening the scen wouldn't help.

Finally I renamed the texture in the windows explorer and reassigned it in the material editor. That worked.

Does anyone else experience this or do you have any idea what might help to prevent this from happening?