Home Career & Education

Digital Arts and Animation Bachelor's Graduate - A bit rusty and could use some career guidance

Hello,

So over a decade ago I graduated with a Digital Arts and Animation bachelor's, more geared towards the game art industry. However, at the time of graduation, a job opportunity presented itself to me to be trained to work high level IT at a friend's company, which I took for a number of reasons. Fast forward to now, I'm still working at that same company. Needless to say I never really used that education from my bachelor's program in my career. Turning 30, it's now kind of hitting me that I dropped my dream for a convenient job. Not only is the regret kicking in, but I'm starting to feel like I'm spending my life doing what I don't really want to do just for a paycheck.

With that, I'm thinking about moving back towards my dream of doing 3d game art for a living, though after a decade of work in another field I can't help but feel that I'm a bit rusty and lost. I could probably use some training to help get me back ready to work in the field professionally, as well as build a new portfolio. I've made an effort to keep my skills up a bit over the past decade, but I haven't been training diligently by any means. I still know my way around major software like Maya, Zbrush, and Photoshop. However, I imagine my art fundamentals could use refreshing, as well as I'm behind on modern workflows and any newer software that may be more commonplace these days. Like Substance Painter - I see that on a lot of job posting requirements, but don't remember any mention of it back around 2010 when I was still in my program.

What would be your advice on a next step in my situation? I've considered going back to college, but I'm wondering if that's even necessary. Perhaps a shorter certificate program or mentorship would be enough to help get me back up to speed on everything I need to rebuild my portfolio and get out there. Maybe not even that, maybe I'm missing some important self-learning tools that would be enough.
Some programs I've looked at are CG Spectrum's Foundation of Game Art Diploma, as well as several of CGMA's courses on 3D Art, though their 2D courses look really enticing as well. Alternatively PluralSight seems like a really good self-taught route. Any suggestions or opinions?

Whatever the time and cost I'm ready to do it though. What's another two or three years of school if it means I'll spend my life doing my dream job instead of a job I do just to keep the lights on?

Thanks for your time.

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I wouldn't bother with formal education - the fact you've held a job for a number of years pretty much covers what a degree tells me about a graduate(i.e they showed up occasionally and finished some projects)
    Focused online learning is good if it helps you learn stuff and get good but it's not worth anything as a qualification to me as a hiring manager

The best thing to do Is Build a portfolio and start applying - age isn't a problem, just be realistic about salary expectations and the grade you're going for.

You're likely more desirable that the average graduate  Most older people tend to progress quickly because they have life skills (like not being an arrogant twat  and an ability to see past the end of their nose) and those that are switching career bring skills from that career to the table. 

• Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    poopipe said:
    I wouldn't bother with formal education
    This^, what you enjoy the most about 3d/game art, you need to ask yourself this question so that you can get some quality tutorials to polish up your skills.