Home Career & Education

I'm hearing impaired and wear hearing aids. Will this affect my job in 3D game industry?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Oblivion2500 polycounter lvl 6

I am hearing impaired. I wear high-end hearing aids and can easily understand speech in person and in small groups. I do use subtitles or close captions whenever I can. Texting, email, video calls are more ideal than a phone call. However, I do miss out sometimes. I do lip-read (which is why video call is easier seeing the person's face). Phone calls I can do with my iPhone since my hearing aids are “made for iPhone” and connect via Bluetooth and have noise canceling. It helps A LOT but it is still not ideal as texting, email, or video call, or in-person meeting. I do have a slight speech impediment where I cannot say R sounds that easily (I am working on it with speech therapy though). I am wondering is there anything else I should be concerned about when working in the gaming industry? I absolutely cannot do landline phones or use someone else phone for voice calls. It is just almost impossible to understand the other person at the other end. I know that the gaming industry is very tech-savvy and progressive, so I’m not too worried about my hearing loss is an issue. I still work great in groups and one-on-one, etc.

Is there anything I should be concerned about when working in the 3D gaming industry? I'm just starting to look for jobs as a 3D environment artist with my completed portfolio (https://olliverpetkac.artstation.com/ ). 

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    as long as its known and its not an issue, it will not be a problem. i know people using hearing aids in various positions in gaming, i even know successful colorblind 3d artists. its doable. to me, as long as one is open about it and possible limitation are known, if the artist does good work i dont see any issues here

• Oblivion2500
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox said:
    as long as its known and its not an issue, it will not be a problem. i know people using hearing aids in various positions in gaming, i even know successful colorblind 3d artists. its doable. to me, as long as one is open about it and possible limitation are known, if the artist does good work i dont see any issues here

Alright good to know. I had to ask because I have a history of working in customer services and other jobs where I got bullied for being hearing impaired or cut hours because I couldn't hear on the landline phone. In fact, one of my bosses actually told me to "try harder" to hear on the phone rather than just text me or facetime. He wouldn't agree to either form of communication even though he was texting and face timing his friends on the job. I have had a lot of interviews for customer services or part-time jobs during high school or after college where they would be like having a problem with the fact that I'm hearing impaired and wouldn't hire me because of that. 

Good to know. I also know that the tech industry as well as the gaming industry is very open and good with communication. 
  • tythomas063
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tythomas063 greentooth
    Hey Olliver! 

Being hearing impaired or deaf shouldn't cause any issues in 3D game industry. I'm deaf and I wear hearing aids. I currently work at Visual Purple as 3D environment artist where we make simulations for Air Force. There was zero issue and we all were able to work together pretty well. Whenever we have a group meeting, we use google hangout which has a pretty good closed caption system. It's pretty accurate. Sometime I use Ava app for one on one conversation if needed. Honestly you have nothing to worry about. I met a lot of people in 3D industry and many of them are very accommodating and patient. All they care about is your portfolio and ability to work with people. 

I actually made a similar post few years ago that you may want to read. There are some good advices in it. ( jeez! I can't believe it has been over 3 years ago already lol ) 

https://polycount.com/discussion/194574/advice-for-a-deaf-artist-in-the-video-game-film-industry/p1?new=1

Right now you should just focus on your portfolio. You have some nice work but I encourage you to keep practicing and improving your skill. 

Feel free to message me if you have any more questions. Good luck, man! You got this! 

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shouldn't be a problem. Lots of communication happens over email and services like Slack, even if you're working on site. But if it was an issue, you could consider remote work where all the communication would be via text or a device that could Bluetooth to your hearing aid. It's likely most studios would make some special accommodation if it was helpful or necessary though.

It's unlikely to be something you would get discriminated against or treated poorly for in the games industry as well. Most people in games are decent folks. The industry is full of people who got picked on in school and stuff like that, and I won't say nobody is ever going to be rude to you, but it's not typical.
  • Oblivion2500
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Olliver! 

Being hearing impaired or deaf shouldn't cause any issues in 3D game industry. I'm deaf and I wear hearing aids. I currently work at Visual Purple as 3D environment artist where we make simulations for Air Force. There was zero issue and we all were able to work together pretty well. Whenever we have a group meeting, we use google hangout which has a pretty good closed caption system. It's pretty accurate. Sometime I use Ava app for one on one conversation if needed. Honestly you have nothing to worry about. I met a lot of people in 3D industry and many of them are very accommodating and patient. All they care about is your portfolio and ability to work with people. 

I actually made a similar post few years ago that you may want to read. There are some good advices in it. ( jeez! I can't believe it has been over 3 years ago already lol ) 

https://polycount.com/discussion/194574/advice-for-a-deaf-artist-in-the-video-game-film-industry/p1?new=1

Right now you should just focus on your portfolio. You have some nice work but I encourage you to keep practicing and improving your skill. 

Feel free to message me if you have any more questions. Good luck, man! You got this! 

Thanks for sharing. It's encouraging that the gaming industry is very patient and accommodating. I just hope to get a job. Been without a job for so long and had a horrible 5 years since graduation in 2016. I'm going to try to do new small projects with free software like Blender, Quixel  Megascans/Mixer, and Unreal Engine 4. 
  • Oblivion2500
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's unlikely to be something you would get discriminated against or treated poorly for in the games industry as well. Most people in games are decent folks. The industry is full of people who got picked on in school and stuff like that, and I won't say nobody is ever going to be rude to you, but it's not typical.
    That's encouraging. Yeah, I have been bullied a lot during middle school and high school. Then my job at GNC two years ago by my boss. I can't tolerate that anymore. 
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    first game studio job I worked at I worked with a guy who had hearing aids for both ears and he was a senior/lead and had been in the industry for quite a while, you will be fine. Most studios have a majority of their communication through slack/email for most essential information. most of an artists time is spent head down working at their desk on their own for most of the day, so nothing hinges on your ability to hear like it would with a customer service job. 

there is a huge diversity of people in the industry and 99% of them are awesome and really accepting of others, you will be fine, go for it!