Home Technical Talk

Maya/Arnold colour variation within MASH-distribution

Hey there kind people of polycount,

so I've been trying around with various forms of "distribution" of objects in Maya/Arnold. Mostly nParticles and MASH. For the time being I've found MASH to be the most practical out of the two. 

However, my question concerns the variation of colours within the instances created. A very easy way to add randomness seems to be to select a colour for an aiColorJitter-node, or feeding it some imagetexture and put the colour out into your shader of desire for it to be rendered. Now, the thing I would like to do would basically be: Tell the Jitter-node where to put its variation basically. Wishful thinking would even say: Use some kind of noisemap to do this thing.

Oh another thing: there's a way in UE4 to do a similar thing, it seems to use some kind of "WorldSpacePosition" map and applies this onto all the instances created. A version of it can be found here:
https://80.lv/articles/meadows-creating-stylized-nature-in-ue4/
If you scroll down there's an image of the shading setup and the point of interest for this case would be the top-left portion of said image.

Now, of course there's multiple roads toward Rome, so I'd be thankful for any kind of other approach for this, but yea, this setup is basically the idea:

And here, albeit not very pretty, just for the functionality:

regards