Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Way Forward

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
Pinkfox sublime tool
Been working on sculpting rocks lately since it's something I hadn't done much of. Ended up really happy with a layered rock I'd managed so I put together this little scene of a small cliff with a subtle marked climbing path out. Really happy with how it ultimately turned out!

If anyone has any critique I'd love to hear it so I can incorporate it in future pieces!

Replies

• BradyJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradyJ polycounter lvl 3
    Think what is missing is a clear subject or focal point. As a sculptor myself I know how hard and fun sculpting rocks is, so it is tempting to make your whole scene just about rocks. But I think you need something to grab my eye and pull me in. Maybe put the camera on a large vista and look out on to a crazy epic landscape that is populated with your rocks, or a dark dingy cave with some light shafts coming in to lead you through the scene. Or use the  same theme you have of a rocky canyon, but just lead the eye through with layers of rock and put the camera really low to make the rocks look imposing and huge. Your scene reminds me of the intro to the amnesia rebirth game. If you watch the intro to that game, look how they pull you through the scene using similar compositional techniques. Great work man, keep it up!
  • Pinkfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pinkfox sublime tool
    @BradyJ Thanks for the suggestions! I see what you mean with how Amnesia Rebirth creates gateways of sorts with their rocks that funnels the player through it in the beginning. Definitely something I'll keep in mind for the future.