Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stylized Info Bot

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
ThisisVictoriaZ polycounter
Hello! 

This is my new project the Info Bot! After taking a look at my portfolio I realized I have a lot of organic stuff and houses, so for some variety and of course practice I decided to make a hard surface robot based off of this concept by James Loy Martin https://www.artstation.com/artwork/gR9LK

I've spent about a week on this so far and am close to being done with the modelling stage so far. I'm using subD to model this!
Concept 

Replies

• R3D
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Really cool! one thing to keep in mind is you might want to exaggerate the size of the bevels so that they read at a distance. Also since you're doing subdiv, include a wireframe screenshot and we can help out with any tricky edge flow areas!

test
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    You're killin it!! Keep it up :)
  • ThisisVictoriaZ
    Offline / Send Message
    @R3D that's a super cool graphic and very helpful! Thank you! 
    @Ashervisalis thank you!
  • ThisisVictoriaZ
    Offline / Send Message
    Modelling update, I rebuilt a couple of the parts like the panel on the top of the monitor and the base, as well as adding some wonk and stylizedness. I did adjust some of the bevel sizes but i wanted to keep some others pretty tight.

• jStins
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    Nice model and looking pretty accurate to the concept art. The support structure for the display and control panel, while accurate to the concept, look a little too flimsy and lack a sense of form following function. Personally I'd steal the supports from the second concept. Maybe add some curves to fit the aesthetic of the concept you're working on. Another option would be use the existing silhouette, but vary the thickness of the pieces to create more visual weight. 

Also consider modeling cut outs on the control panel to accommodate the knobs and switches. It's sometimes a good idea to add practical details that may not exist in concept art. 

Finally, that scratch near the top of the display would probably be better left to texture. 

Should be a fun one to texture and looking forward to seeing more. 
  • ThisisVictoriaZ
    Offline / Send Message
    @jStins thanks for your comment!  It's a super interesting thought to take parts from other concepts on the same sheet and add them to this one. Also I did try to have some parts of the model varying thicknesses, but if that isnt reading very well then I may have to revisit those areas. As far as the scratch goes I agree that it would be better as a texture, since I already modelled it I'm just going to leave it, but will keep that in mind for future projects!
  • ThisisVictoriaZ
    Offline / Send Message
    After making slight changes to the model and unwrapping I started texturing! I decided not to add any parts from the other robots in my concept image cause I really like the silhouette I have here. I've done some base colors and started adding grunge, but my concept is pretty dirty so I have a lot more that i need to add still

• ThisisVictoriaZ
    Offline / Send Message
    Texturing update! Ive been adding alot of grunge, my goal is to make it look like its been sitting outside on the side of the road for a long time 

• ThisisVictoriaZ
    Offline / Send Message
    I did a few things to the textures on this, i took away some of the procedurally gnereated dirt because I felt like it was too obvious that it was procedurally generated. I also increased the saturation for almost everything, I wanted to do this to help it feel more stylized and fun. Then I brought it into Marmoset Toolbag to start rendering! 

• Kanni3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Nice work :) is there any emissive on the screen itself? If there is, crank it up even further, because there's not much screen glow, which would be a nice touch.
  • ThisisVictoriaZ
    Offline / Send Message
    @Kanni3d theres emissive on the screen and also the little sign that says info! I agree they dont glow enough tho I'll try to get that looking more glowy next time I work on this. 
  • ThisisVictoriaZ
    Offline / Send Message
    The infobot is done! Thank you all for all of your comments and suggestions :) 
    Check out my artstation post for wireframe, marmoset viewer, and an alternate nighttime lighting set up I made! 
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/8eNKNG