Home General Discussion

Epic grabbed Artstation

Replies

• Vamptacus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vamptacus polycounter lvl 4
    !!!!! wow ... so are they gonna start banning some countries like the epic store? :)
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    Vamptacus said:
    !!!!! wow ... so are they gonna start banning some countries like the epic store? :)

Wait what?
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    When Adobe bought Allegorithmic, I was pretty upset. I'm kinda pro Epic though, they've innovated and done so much for game production, as well as animation. A ton of their tools are free to use. If anybody was going to buy ArtStation, I'm kind of glad it was them. The main worry I have is them using AS to promote UE. It says in their article AS won't become UE focused, which is good. There is an entire channel devoted to UE though, amongst game art, science fiction, character art, etc...

However, this has been around for a bit already. I remember seeing that pop up a few months ago and thinking it was weird that UE had its own channel.

Buuuuuuuuut this is kind of a nitpick. I like Epic, I don't think ArtStation will be hurt by this acquisition. At least it's not Adobe, eh.
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
    Wonder if we'll eventually get UE integration for showing off our work. Something like Marmoset Viewer on steroids would be cool.
  • ToxicTilapia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ToxicTilapia polycounter lvl 3
    free artstation learning tho so...
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    So it's cheaper for them to buy artstation then to place ads there? Clever move..
  • Finnn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn greentooth
    rollin said:
    So it's cheaper for them to buy artstation then to place ads there? Clever move..

Probably not what is going on. Artstation is a very promising social platform combining not only the social media / portfolio aspect, but also having a solid foundation for a online marketplace solution. My bet is they will expand on that in the future.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    should change the name to UnrealStation
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    Finnn said:
    rollin said:

Probably not what is going on. Artstation is a very promising social platform combining not only the social media / portfolio aspect, but also having a solid foundation for a online marketplace solution. My bet is they will expand on that in the future.

I don't know, but it seemed kinda desperate (at least to me) that they just gave away 2 months of pro. Of course ballistiq isn't a publicly traded company so we can't see their stocks (I think that's how that works?) so we'll never know for sure.
  • Finnn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn greentooth
    fdfxd2 said:
    Finnn said:
    rollin said:

I don't know, but it seemed kinda desperate (at least to me) that they just gave away 2 months of pro. Of course ballistiq isn't a publicly traded company so we can't see their stocks (I think that's how that works?) so we'll never know for sure.

Desperate? No way. Epic has funds and they use it wisely. Its promotion. Just like they are giving away games like GTA V and many more since the release of the epic games store. They throw money out, but in return they have a constantly growing user base.
    Same strategy applíes to Artstation. They also lowered the store fees. Its an investment. :]
  • Finnn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn greentooth
    When Adobe bought Allegorithmic, I was pretty upset. I'm kinda pro Epic though, they've innovated and done so much for game production, as well as animation. A ton of their tools are free to use. If anybody was going to buy ArtStation, I'm kind of glad it was them. The main worry I have is them using AS to promote UE. It says in their article AS won't become UE focused, which is good. There is an entire channel devoted to UE though, amongst game art, science fiction, character art, etc...

However, this has been around for a bit already. I remember seeing that pop up a few months ago and thinking it was weird that UE had its own channel.

Buuuuuuuuut this is kind of a nitpick. I like Epic, I don't think ArtStation will be hurt by this acquisition. At least it's not Adobe, eh.

I agree with you. I am fond of Epic, Unreal Engine is an amazing tool and Epic also pushes many technical limits.
    Still, I personally dont like this development. To me Artstation was a unique social platform that really stand out for me because of there innovative way to share art in a professional environment.
    Same innovative drive that Allegorithmic had. I think I just prefer smaller companies. They drive innovation. Its the usual course that innovative, once small, companies take. Being swallowed by a huge group. Its just the way this systems works. ^^

I dont think Epic will flood Artstation with Unreal Engine. My guess, as I mentioned above, is that they will try to drive more people into the marketplace (lowering the fees is a move into that direction) and potentially expanding on that business model.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Epic is doing a lot of good shit with the fortnite money. But buying everything and doing good with it will only last as long as they have good management, and eventually that will change.

Anyway, at the moment, I am loving all the free content epic is giving away. Gotta get while the gettings good.
  • Justo
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Polycount will remain the last haven for non-software-biased art-sharing :p We won?!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    This is just another reminder that even though AS did a great job at replacing CGHub, it never hurts to have ones own place with a duplicate/dump all of ones Artsations content, under a fully controlled hosting solution. Domain names and hosting are both dirt cheap, and putting together a page with a bunch of images takes no time.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    You'd have to retrain people to look outside Artstation though. Does anybody even bother anymore? :)

Anyway, with the new owners, why not clean up the popup-mania over there a bit? Annoys me so much when following a link to AS only to be greeted by some promotion or whatever popup. Half the time I just insta-close the tab in disgust.

Tips on how to suppress those popups using Firefox would be very welcome as well!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Ha, I probably didn't express myself clearly. I am not saying that one should have ones own website instead of an AS. I am saying : put your stuff on AS, but *also* develop your own, simple folio space that doesn't depend on any third party service, where you can dump all your content easily. That way whenever AS changes too much, or whenever Epic becomes fully china-owned, all the content will be backed up and ready to show somewhere else.

Similarly to how one shouldn't depend on Facebook for photo albums. That's mostly common sense really :)
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    I don't think there's a misunderstanding at all. I'm just saying even if people were to leave Artstation in droves for some reason - they're not going to go back to browsing isolated little pages again but rather move to the next best alternative platform.

Discoverability seems to be on another level with these hubs or perhaps just AS in particular.