Home Career & Education

Can I get a job with my current skill set?

DerMalt
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
DerMalt polycounter lvl 3

Hey Guys,

I’m a 3D artist, that has focused the last 3 years (out of 7) on modeling and texturing because I want to get a job in the VFX Industry preferably in Germany. Even though I had an interview last week at a big VFX house and am getting an answer this week, I don’t think my chances are pretty high. Mostly because I have no industry experience at all. This would be my first job.

Over LinkedIn I have talked with some industry professionals, which gave me some great feedback on my work. Nearly all of them told me, that I have the skills to work in the VFX Industrie, I just have to be patient and keep trying.

Unfortunately I have sent my application to all the big VFX studios here in Germany, so I’m not sure where to apply next.
Because I have focused my time on modeling and texturing, I don’t have the skillset to work in a smaller studio, because they are looking for more generalists. I’m currently working on doing some more general projects, but I don’t have much time for that at the moment.

I kind of need to get some sort of job until September, or I probably have to move back to my parents, which I want to avoid. Of course, I could get a job that has nothing to do with 3D, but that is something I want to avoid too. First of all, I then don’t have a lot of time for my 3D work, and secondly, I’m an introvert. So in lots of jobs where I have to talk with customers, I don’t feel very comfortable. It’s not that I could not do it, but I would not enjoy it at all.

So my question is: What kind of jobs can I apply for with my current skill set? Before specializing, I was a generalist for 4 years. But I don’t have projects, that hold up today.

I was thinking of companies, that make model libarys, or companies, where I could start with my current skill set, but would learn to be a more generalist.

Portfolio: https://www.artstation.com/malteullrich

Reel: https://vimeo.com/529714620

YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK1SY2DaedfdE_XgYccny7Q

Replies

• lluc21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lluc21 polycounter lvl 5
    I don't really know how recruitment for VFX goes and what they look for on a 3d hard surface artist, so take this with a grain of salt...
    I'd say the modeling and texturing is proper and could land you a job if you're a bit lucky and find a studio looking for someone that does strictly hard surface stuff in that particular style (very angular and geometric).

I think it would benefit you greatly if you could show some hard surface stuff but with proper surface curvature and complex shapes, if possible something based or heavily inspired by reality. I was thinking something like a modern car, but of course it can be anything. This would not only show that you can manage complex topology flow, but it'd also show that you can follow a realistic reference accurately. At the moment it looks like you only have things that even if they are very well made and well presented are not really showing complex topology flow and reflections