Home Adobe Substance

How can I quickly make procedural planet shaders in designer?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Oblivion2500 polycounter lvl 6
I don't know much about substance designer. I'm coming from Quixel Suite / Mixer. I have used Substance Designer and Painter back in college but haven't since then since I can't afford a subscription. How can I quickly make different planet shaders in designer? I'm creating an environment that has planets in the sky such as a moon, a Saturn-like planet with ring, and some cool purple/red planet.  Any tips and advice?

Replies

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
     How can I quickly make different planet shaders in designer?

"Quickly"  is not  something  to expect from Substance Designer.   It's more like spending forever for  making a prototype and then generating  variations instantly.       It's basically same  as using  procedural  filters in Mixer  but  kind of more flexible with more options.  Still the base principles are absolutely  same.           

• Oblivion2500
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop said:
     How can I quickly make different planet shaders in designer?

"Quickly"  is not  something  to expect from Substance Designer.   It's more like spending forever for  making a prototype and then generating  variations instantly.       It's basically same  as using  procedural  filters in Mixer  but  kind of more flexible with more options.  Still the base principles are absolutely  same.           

True. It takes patience when working as substance designer. The good news is that I'm catching up quickly from the last time I used it. I'm getting the hang of it with the official adobe substance youtube tutorials. It's pretty neat software and I also love epic games quixel suite as well which is my primary software workflow working with blender and unreal engine. I can quickly notice that substance designer still has the edge when it comes to painter and alchemist as well as making procedural textures from scratch. 

I got advice to use different noise generators in substance (starting grayscale as the workflow) and build it up like layering on top of other layers of noise/clouds and then adding in color to create procedural planet textures. I'm just trying to also figure out how would I make the procedural texture work with a spherical map? Is there a converter node inside of substance designer that converts the output image into a spherical map that can be used on sphere meshes. 
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    there are a few projection nodes you can use so you'll be able to map your creation seamlessly. 

You still need good UVs on your object though, designer doesn't touch the mesh and compensate for poop uvs
  • Oblivion2500
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe said:
    there are a few projection nodes you can use so you'll be able to map your creation seamlessly. 

You still need good UVs on your object though, designer doesn't touch the mesh and compensate for poop uvs
    Is the default sphere UV map that the default sphere mesh creates inside of maya/blender fine?
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    No. It distorts horribly at the poles. 

Usually people use a spherified box 
  • Oblivion2500
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe said:
    No. It distorts horribly at the poles. 

Usually people use a spherified box 
    True. However, a spherified box can look a bit square at the corners...
  • Oblivion2500
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

This is my progress so far. Not 100% happy. I'm just focusing on the texture. I will create a cloud layer as a separate substance that can be applied on top with movement inside of UE4.

This is my inspiration for the planet textures. I want them to look realistic.