Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need Help, is it possible do game assets without texture paint?

Hi everyone, this is a WIP i want to share with you for some feedback; I modeled this model with a "boolean workflow", i modeled all the parts (the basis of the house, the windows, wooden beam...) separetly, I unwrapped each part, than made a union of all the parts with boolean modifier and adjusted the uv ilands so that respects the model proportions; at this point i have differnt pbr materials i downloaded from different texture sites applied to the model, and want to bake everithing  for have a single material.
The question is what you think about it? honestly i'm pretty happy with the result, in my opinion is simple but it work, but i also know that in most cases the textures in 3d assets for games are hand painted and i was wandering: maybe my model could appear a little anonimous? The style i want to reach is, let's say, a midway between cartoon/deform style and realistic, am i on the right way?
Oh, the model is not finished 100% 

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    "i also know that in most cases the textures in 3d assets for games are hand painted"

That's not really true. Game assets these days are often made using a series of auto masking substance materials, assets that are 'hand painted' are generally either very colorful / cartoony , or they need certain unique details which make more sense to be added by hand then by automation.

As for the building, I'm not overly familiar with half-timbered framing, but I would imagine that on very old buildings like this one the upper part being jettied (having an overhang) would mean the upper floor would be built without bricks for weight purposes. Also the shingles on the roof look like they're wrapped in plastic, and the door size makes it appear like there's no headroom (have to duck down while inside).
  • Denny94
    PolyHertz said:
    "i also know that in most cases the textures in 3d assets for games are hand painted"

That's not really true. Game assets these days are often made using a series of auto masking substance materials, assets that are 'hand painted' are generally either very colorful / cartoony , or they need certain unique details which make more sense to be added by hand then by automation.

As for the building, I'm not overly familiar with half-timbered framing, but I would imagine that on very old buildings like this one the upper part being jettied (having an overhang) would mean the upper floor would be built without bricks for weight purposes. Also the shingles on the roof look like they're wrapped in plastic, and the door size makes it appear like there's no headroom (have to duck down while inside).
    thanks for your critics, i know there are different issues, but how does his style look to you? considering the adjustments you suggest, would you suggest me to continue on this path?