Home Career & Education

I can't start or learn anything new after burnout

Lemenus
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Lemenus polycounter lvl 5
I burned out to the crisps on last job as 3D "artist" (that wasn't really artistic, but very 3D), after that i work in storage - moving boxes and other stuff. I want to get decent job, but companies need professionals (REAL professionals), so i need to learn something new (for example animation, why i got interested in 3D in the first place), or improve my 3D modelling skills (which i learned by accident, and job found me, rather i found it), but i just can't keep process of learning - can't do anything for more than 5 min, sometimes can't even force myself to open Blender or UE4. It's a few months since last job over, no change in situation.
I don't know what to do. Help

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    If you feel burned out on art, maybe try doing to opposite; pick up a programming language.
    Knowing how to write scripts/tools for art apps and engines is certainly a worthwhile skill to have. :)
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    ^ This

Or another useful tangent, that may provide an outlet at least in terms of exercising your creativity, other than opening a piece of software. Is basically, getting yourself outside, armed only with sketchbook - flipbook - pencil and simply draw, whatever comes to mind.
    Mode of transport or destination is irrelevant just the simple act of putting graphite too paper whilst outdoors will also release the gradual buildup of tension/depression, post event which worked for me, though did take a period of time to recover.
  • Lemenus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lemenus polycounter lvl 5
    Hmmm... I need purpose, back in a day I could just go and do random stuff, but now i need motivation or something.
    I could plan what to do tomorrow, it should be tiny stuff, achievable in one day. But often I struggle with breaking apart big task.
    And there's one more thing that I'm struggling with - how to not get demotivated by looking at professional works? And how and where get help when stuck? I dropped UE4 so many times because i didn't knew how to do some stuff (and sometimes it happened because i didn't knew how to record what i want on forum). Or animation because i just don't know where to get desirable models to animate
  • neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    Saw this quote somewhere about physical fitness that can also apply here. "It's a marathon, not a sprint."
    I think you need to separate long term from short term goals. It's very easy to get overwhelmed by everything at once and a lot of this stuff takes time and patience. 
    For the long term: Where do you want to go? What excites you? You can't do everything. Maybe cross out the stuff you don't like to do and narrow down that list. If you got pushed into modeling but want to focus on animation, stick with animation. It helps to write this down and be your own coach.
    For the short term: What can you achieve / learn right now to move towards that long term goal? Tutorials, practice, make a portfolio piece. Don't bite off more than you can chew. Keep it small and work your way up to larger more ambitious projects.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    don't worry, happens to most people at some point. you get to the point where doing small task can be rewarding. make small goals, learn little things that can eventually come together in to something worthwhile.

I worked at tkmaxx years ago before I had a job in 3d, took me about 5 years. wasn't much fun really, but kept the wolves from the door

not much work around these days either, so for me at least I have to rely on the fact that I also love it as a hobby ie doing art

choose something that is interesting to you personally, not just something that you thnk you should be doing