Home Adobe Substance

White outline around decals

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
BrunoNM polycounter lvl 2
Hi everyone !
It's been a long time until I decided to ask this question.
Every times I use decals on my guns, I've always the same issue, a white outline appear on every logos.
(My gun is one texture set, my decals are one texture set too).

So as you can see on the main picture, the gun I'm currently working on, you can notice some white pixels around logos.

If we're looking closer, (1) you really can see the problem.

So I tried to cheat (2) with levels to shrink the logo for get rid of those ugly pixels.
(In the layer ''Height'' all channel are on, Color, Height,Rough, Metallic and Normal.
The layer Opacity, only opacity is turn on).
But unfortunately, when I extend the view and see the all gun, white pixels show up again !

If someone have an idea for solve the problem I will be glad to heard it !
I'm looking forward to finish the work properly... ;)

(I posted the same topic on the substance painter forum, but it seems like nobody knows the answer... I hope somebody have an idea for how to work with decals and opacity...)

Replies

• Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    I think it'd be faster and easier to just use a stencil and paint it directly on using a fill layer + mask, rather than relying on an alpha/opacity layer to place your decals. That way avoids this alpha issue altogether.
  • BrunoNM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Many thanks for your answer !
    I think you mean, painting directly on the main texture set ?
    Because the first set (for the entire model) is so full of UV island my texel density is too small to have the quality of a logo on top of it.
    That's why I use another set for decals.

I tried to used the stamp technic on top of my decal texture set, I had the same issue.

I'm wondering if it's not a export setting that cause this white line, because when I zoomed really close to my logo I can see the outline is kind of 50% opaque...Anti-aliasing...Maybe without antialiasing it will works better...I should try to get rid of this outline using photoshop...

• BrunoNM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi again, I think I found the answer:
    I tried to get rid of anti-aliasing with photoshop by deleting all pixels which weren't white. Barely change something in Painter.
    I was pretty sure this was an anti-aliasing stuff.

By changing the Mipmap Bias in the Viewport settings, that's solve the issue. From medium to very sharp.
    I feel stupid, but happy at the same time to have found the answer ! B)

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Typically such kind of outlines come from decal texture itself.   If your save your "Kal.9 mm " texture  with white or gray or whatever background   this background  will ALWAYS be   leaking  on the edges  of alpha channel .   Use  free solidify filter for Photoshop for anything having alpha channel.   Or in case of this sign make background black too. 

Nonwithstanding of all this  you could still see a pixel wide  halos at metal/non-metal  and even too contrast white/black roughness edges.    Fixing this is a kind of voodoo  and never simply a single approach.
  • BrunoNM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks to take the time to help  me !

After changes settings my logo wasn't perfect so I found this:
    I copy paste my logo in 3 layers, one for opacity, one for all channels except color (in the picture it's name is height), and a last only for color.
    And I used levels to push to the left or right black and whites values. And now my result is almost perfect !

@gnoop Could you tell me more about this filter ? Can't find what is it...

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter

here among other useful ones    or  you can use distance  node in Substance designer  for the same purpose.  Basically it creates "padding" of same color   around  the edges

• BrunoNM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks I will try that !