Home General Discussion

Nevercenter Silo, new version just released...

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
PolyHertz quad damage
Anyone remember Nevercenter Silo? That 3D modeling app that everyone liked (other then all the crashes) but then was abruptly killed by the developer for no good reason like 10 years ago? Well apparently over the past few years they've been slowly working on reviving it and have just released this:

Replies

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe high dynamic range
    It came back briefly a couple of years ago with version 2.5 and then fizzled out again so not entirely confident it's here to stay but it really is a nice little package and would run on really crappy hardware (good for tablets etc.)

I wonder if my license still works..

edit:  apparently they're not giving free upgrades on 8 year old licenses :( 
    have they learned nothing from pixologic ? :D

I'd still recommend everyone giving it a try
  • RaptorCWS
    Offline / Send Message
    RaptorCWS polycounter lvl 9
    poopipe said:

edit:  apparently they're not giving free upgrades on 8 year old licenses :( 
    have they learned nothing from pixologic ? :D
    to be fair just about every studio has several licenses of zbrush and it is a must have at a certain part of the pipeline for some jobs. silo is not.
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm joking.. 

Although..
     I haven't given pixologic any money since zbrush 3 and I've still got a working license.  
    That's got be to 13-14 years now - makes the £300 it cost back then feel like a bit of a  bargain really. 

I'd recommend trying Silo for people who correctly identify Maya as the massive piece of shit it is for modelling, don't want to pay £320 a year for a max indie license and don't get on with blender 

That said, In a world where Blender (as it is now) exists it's difficult to justify paying for it unless you're looking specifically for a lightweight, highly focused app to run on a non workstation laptop  or surface pro (It's  pretty tablet friendly)

• thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp quad damage
    I do remember the name but confess I never looked at the software. Seems heavily inspired by the once fancy Nendo/Mirai.

Not sure that's the modelling paradigm I'd still pick nowadays. Remember modelling heads starting from a box a la Bay Raitt's Gollum? ;)

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    It does have shades of nendo about it for sure.  It's got more features etc but has the same back to basics charm and fluid workflow. 

I'd love to see it expanded to support marmoset style shading,  megascans/sbsar integration . Given features like that it could be a legitimately useful tool in production
  • mwgrafx
    Offline / Send Message
    mwgrafx polycounter lvl 14
    I personally feel this is a waste of money and time. They fell off the map, to resurface and say silo is alive, did a few bug fixes, then disappeared for years. Only to come back with a small handful of features and then to charge you full price for what very little is offered.  It feels like another poor attempt to grab money and then to fall back into obscurity again... I would save your money. My 2 cents. 
  • gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop interpolator
     I tried Silo briefly a decade ago  and found it offers nothing extra over Bender that time.  It was still more convenient than 3d max 2008 I had.      Now 3d max finally  has a slight edge  over Blender imo while still damn puzzle to use a half of a time.           Wonder if  the new Silo has something over current Blender worth to dive in ?     

Something  in respect of simplicity and quirk-less workflow at least.     I hate  to look through my  huge Evernote base  each time I need to figure out  what was a workaround  for things I already did  before.    Those damn "pro" level softs  are never going to be simple and easy to use.

• Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J veteran polycounter
    The main things I see advertised is intuitive, speed, ease of use, etc.

For anybody who already knows any 3d modeling program already, these are non-issues, right?

Intuitive only makes a difference when you are first learning, right?

• Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I tried the demo, and crashed doing some cuts XD. 

BTW, its subdivision modeling performance is good, but it's like the older silo. Modo is far superior for me.
  • Gmanx
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 17
    I had it / loved it back in the day (pre-Blender). I’ve even got an official book on character creation for it somewhere. Not something I’d consider now though.