Home Technical Talk

AMD vs Intel for new laptop Work/Gaming

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Enis polycounter lvl 3
Hello there!

Long story short I'm looking into upgrading my old laptop for both work and gaming purposes.

For work I mainly use Zbrush for sculpting 3D Printing models mostly. BUT I want to get into learning softwares like Substance Painter/Marmoset Toolbag. I will probably try to learn modeling for digital use too and do some basic rendering of my sculptures in Blender/Other render programs.

I was just warming up to an AMD laptop but read some programs like Substance doesn't support AMD parts or doesn't work as good as Nvidia/Intel cards. Did you have similar experience or have some suggestions for me ? Or does it even matter which brand I would go for work purposes in the laptop I'm looking for.

Also quick question would the Nvidia RTX have any benefits for me to have during working over AMD with the real time renders ? Correct me If I'm wrong please, I get that Substance/Marmoset or similar softwares use real time

Thanks in advance,
Have a nice day

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Um.

No problems at all with software compatibility on AMD 5000 series CPU over the last 6 months. 
    I do a lot of work with substance, max, blender and various other things.  I wouldn't use my own money to buy intel at the moment. 

For anything semi professional always go Nvidia for GPU.
    Apart from them having generally  better drivers a number of useful apps (iray for example) require cuda which is Nvidia only.
  • Enis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enis polycounter lvl 3
    Then as I understand, other than performance between models/brands, I shouldn't run into problem while using softwares mentioned or general choices in 3D field, right ? I'm not much of a follower of current technology and the laptop I use is like from 2013 lmao. Looks like AMD has edge of performance in the models I looked into, I was concerned If I picked AMD, it would cause problems with compatibility with the programs for some reason.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    there is always a possibility that badly written/tested  software will react badly to a different architecture. eg. the auto-unwrap in maya had problems a few versions back on AMD processors (maya is particularly poor in terms of QA so not a good reference point tbf)

it's probably sensible to check for each app you use just to be sure  - they tend to get patched pretty quickly though and we've had several years of AMD as workstation already so I'd imagine most problems have raised their heads by now.