Home Technical Talk

How to get more resolution using Zbrush's dynamesh on long object?

G0056
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
G0056 polycounter lvl 2
I'm currently modeling a shotgun, that have a very long barrel. So when I try to dynamesh it(for polishing edges and get a good bake later) I'm using the plugin "Dynamesh utility", so I can set the desired polycount, but even using 10m polys(the max I can set, can't go further than that), the edges are still very lowpoly, so polish won't work well. Any more options that I could try? 

Replies

• Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    Dynamesh creates a uniform topology. You can't selectively add more geo to the edge with it alone. You could try using sculptris mode and setting the brush size small and using smooth brush with low Z intensiity and swipe over the edges to add denser geo. Though the topology isn't going to be good, and any artifacts from the non ideal dynamesh topology might still show up. So you probably just have to make the shape another way not using dynamesh like zremeshing and using polygroups/creasing or just subD modelling it. 

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Dynamesh is for blocking out shapes, not creating refined ones. Use Z-Remesher once you've got the main forms in and clean it up / detail it from there.
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    I guess you could do bunch of things but if you must use dynamesh I will combine that with local subdivisions ,just select area that you need more polygons and hit Cntr + D
    if you have low res model you could use crease + combination subdivisions and local subdivisions to keep the edge sharp and to not push the polygon count to insane numbers
    Same with sculptris pro BTW it wont be very responsive with 10 mil poly mesh it meant for low poly stuff
    Or you can do this in your favorite box modeling program using bevel/crease