Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New here, looking for some CC on my work and to start sharing more

Hi! I recently picked up 3D modeling back (after a 13 years "break") again from my teenage years and Im having a blast! Im using Blender and going through some BlenderBros courses (Sci-Fi Weapons, haven't finished), some Grant Abbitt tutorials (low poly well and low poly sea shack), and a  Rachel Frick guide (Making A Boxbot In Blender 2.8).

I recently (Sunday)  got HardOps and Boxcutter addons and was getting the hang of them, I feel like I've learned a lot these past 2 months and want to keep going while it's fun and entertaining, so I figured that it'd be a good idea to join a community to get some feedback from and then when I'm knowledgeable enough, give back as well.

My ArtStation right now is a mixture of results from courses and tutorials, and some work of my own. I didn't find a rules post so I don't know how okay it is for me to just post a link to ArtStation, I could redo this and include the images if needed, but anyways, here it is https://www.artstation.com/tronikart

Replies

• pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Not a bad start, the work is giving me tutorial/art test vibes. Needs some of your own flavor, A lot of the work doesn't meet industry standards in terms of AAA/next gen, but as far as low poly modeling goes, you're getting the hang of it. I'd continue with small props, get mixer or substance and really start making some high end props, that could eventually work their way into a larger scene. 
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Good start!
    One small critique; The bevels on your gun (and to a lesser extent the boxbot) are too thin. Rounding off the sharp edges should help add to the readibility of the piece, but right now they kind of get lost at a normal viewing distance.
  • Tronikart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not a bad start, the work is giving me tutorial/art test vibes. Needs some of your own flavor, A lot of the work doesn't meet industry standards in terms of AAA/next gen, but as far as low poly modeling goes, you're getting the hang of it. I'd continue with small props, get mixer or substance and really start making some high end props, that could eventually work their way into a larger scene. 
    Thank you! I've been finding myself wanting to finish a course/tutorial to try my own things out which I love because it means that I feel like I know enough to mess around on my own, and it's giving me a space to come up with ideas and characters to try, and I love that. I recently downloaded mixer but haven't tried it yet, I'm trying my best to space new tools far enough for me to get familiarized with them first so I don't get overwhelmed or end up not knowing how to use any of them, currently I'm learning hardops/boxcutter but mixer is defnitely next! Thanks!

PolyHertz said:
    Good start!
    One small critique; The bevels on your gun (and to a lesser extent the boxbot) are too thin. Rounding off the sharp edges should help add to the readibility of the piece, but right now they kind of get lost at a normal viewing distance.
    Thanks! And I thought I was using them too much! This only means I have to always aim to have cleaner geometry so beveling goes well, although I'm enjoying cleaning up overlaps since I feel like I'm applying what I learned from the courses. Will keep this in mind for future projects for sure