Home General Discussion

I don't understand sometimes

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Mr_Nova polycounter lvl 3
Don't confuse this as complaining, more like just a rant but I truthfully don't understand Artstation and trends half the time, or even if I'm doing something wrong. I find it extremely depressing sometimes working through school, an internship (for 3D modeling) and doing my own art to hopefully get into a junior level modeling position for games. I've spent a few years now learning the pipeline and honing those skills and I'm quite decent at it now, but man it's super demoralizing working on something in between other things and hardly anyone sees it.

Most of the time my work gets drowned in everyday works amongst other things, I make game models, spend quite a bit of time doing so and it's not the best thing ever and not as exciting as making environments with megascans and having image #5137 small character looking at large neon object or some other thing. 95% of the time I make everything I post because I'm learning and want to actually be capable in a game modeling position so it's like.... I know i'm not crap at what I do but I can't shake this feeling I'm not making any impactful work or impression even though i've been learning this stuff for 3+ years.

I get job offers sometimes for game development so like I said, I know my work isn't bad but i'm not going to pretend I'm amazing. I make models for games because that's what I enjoy. I just don't understand what i'm doing wrong (if anything), or why I can't seem to build a following or even reach people and it's a brutal feeling sometimes because I want to believe that helps without falling into that trap of comparison and needing likes to feel validated.

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Welcome to being an artist bud. Just keep pushing yourself. A few years of you learning the pipeline is not much compared to the veterans out there who have a lot of experience. Don't let your spirit be crushed by not getting enough likes on ArtStation; it'll always feel like the amount of likes or followers you get will never be enough. If you keep getting depressed at the low number of likes, it'll just tear you down eventually. Instead of making art for the masses, just try focusing on making your own art really cool.
  • Mr_Nova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Likes is not what i'm really referring to, I'm talking about how it doesn't even get seen in the first place. I get what you're saying, but i'm more bothered by how it's not even being viewed. As I said before it gets drowned in content to the point I can't really compete, making game models correctly takes time, what I'm struggling with is doing everything right and still getting nowhere.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I tracked down your artstation and it looks like your posts get about... as many views as mine lol. I've been doing this stuff for like 15 years so I think you're doing fine if you're still in/just out of school.

But really, if you want more views, more visibility, you need to do one of two things (ideally both):
    • Make better art
    • Market your brand better

Don't fall into the "well X thing that I don't like got more views than my thing..." trap. It's petty, disrespectful, and unless you're going to use it as motivation to become awesome (it sounds more like it's bringing you down), get that shit out of your head and move forward.

It's important to realize that there will always be someone better than you, luckier than you, more popular than you, more successful, etc. But that doesn't mean you can't be the best version of yourself.
  • jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    Might help to post your work so we can see if there's something you can improve to make your work stand out. Or maybe it's a matter of picking more interesting references / concept art. Hard to say without seeing what you've created to this point. 

It could also help to post links directly to your art station page for the piece. I see a lot of polycounters post links to their art station page for a piece once it's done. I've probably liked and followed more people that way than just randomly browsing art station. You should post your work everywhere (twitter, facebook, instagram, etc... -that could also include links back to art station) if you're trying to build a following.
  • Mr_Nova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @EarthQuake I suppose? again i'm not trying to come off as ungrateful (and I apologize if I am) I'm more or less venting the frustrations i've had for this past year. Learning nothing from my school that I worked for (the military) to attend, even now I'm just worked to death on all ends just trying to graduate and hopefully have more time to do good things. I agree with what you're saying, it has just been a complicated time.. I'm aware there is no actual answer, none that are easy but I appreciate it nonetheless. 

@jStins sorry, https://www.artstation.com/dmpickle thats my portfolio. weeded out a few things because i've grown to hate some of my earlier things, some things are there that I need to rework still because looking at some things in my work I'm not happy with as i've learned on my own.
  • Mr_Nova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @EarthQuake ummmm... you're reviewing my girlfriends work...., she is my mentor and also a professional working in blockchain games. I'm not sure how you got there, I have referenced her work for my own projects but that's not my portfolio. 

This is my portfolio: https://www.artstation.com/dmpickle

Edit: I also don't see how I'm saying what people can and can't like, I never said anything like that.
  • jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    Thanks for the portfolio link! Ultimately it comes down to this
    EarthQuake said:
    • Make better art
    • Market your brand better
    Thoughts....

I'd say lighting, shading and composition is a broad area where you could improve the presentation of your work. We spend hours and hours in 3D software, but it's important to remember we're communicating via 2D images 90% of the time. Thumbnails and presentation shots need to stand on their own as compelling and appealing images. 

Also consider selecting more interesting subject matter. There are so many Glocks, M-84 grenades and hunting knives out there I can visualize what they look like with my eyes closed. And I don't even really care for weapons and all that stuff. If you're going to make a prop or weapon that's been done 1000s of times over, it needs to be really really good to get noticed at all. Don't go questing for likes as it's very challenging to know what will gain traction in the zeitgeist of the moment. However, do spend time considering what you like about a subject or concept. What makes it appealing to you? As you said, this stuff takes a long time. Spend that time on something you're really enthusiastic about. 

With that said, doing some common props does allow you to compare your result to others and maybe identify specifically what your version does well and what needs work. 

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/RwXoy

I know your Glock is one of your older pieces, but... Aside from some lovely model and texture detail, all these shots have good contrast, interesting composition. Any one of the presentation shots here could work as a poster that a gun / half life fan might have on their wall. 

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/18YYNK

Not many m-84s with a ton of views / likes, but I think this one demonstrates a little more finesse and control of high frequency details in the texture. I think your scene could also use a little more bounced light to push back some of the darker shadows. 

Your most recent piece (Buster) is looking pretty good and shows promise. Huge improvement from the Glock! Keep going and cull the older pieces as you add to the portfolio. Post your WIPs here and on other platforms. I'm not so sure Art Station is the place to be noticed when you're starting out. Probably better to think of it as a platform to host your portfolio and point people to it. More views will come, but it takes time to build a following. Just worry about creating better art for now. 
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr_Nova said:
    @EarthQuake ummmm... you're reviewing my girlfriends work...., she is my mentor and also a professional working in blockchain games. I'm not sure how you got there, I have referenced her work for my own projects but that's not my portfolio. 

This is my portfolio: https://www.artstation.com/dmpickle

Edit: so... yeah that is a bit awkward.
    Whoops, derp, sorry I hit that link when browsing your posting history.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    It's tough to get views, even tougher to get people that follow your work. It used to be fairly easy to make a name for yourself back when artists were more concentrated on dedicated forums (like Polycount, CGTalk, GameArtisans, 3DTotal, etc.) but these days you need to advertise on multiple general-purpose forums like Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, etc. if you want people to pay attention. Artstation by itself wont get you much exposure unless one (or several) of your pieces end up on their front page.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Consistency!

In my opinion, is a benchmark you're well aware of. So continue to strive for a sought after fidelity, at which point people will eventuality associate the name with the art,  hence worth their while following.

Plus not forgetting those eyeballs that count, too.

"Build it and they will come"

(...oof damn my glacial typing, moi pearls of wisdom overlapped, again)
  • Mr_Nova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @jStins Thank you for the feedback. I agree, I've been battling that for the longest time, I'm aware that my lighting techniques are not very good but I haven't given up trying to be better for it. Also, yes I was aware of the Glocks and grenades and all that, truthfully I did not expect anything from those because I knew they were a dime-a-dozen already but I was okay with that because I was learning the pipeline and starting small (I guess you could say that, I get weapons can be hard to make, let alone being realistic.)

The recent stuff I see a lot of flaws still but i'm happy I was just able to make it work in the end, school often times distracts me from doing what I enjoy. It may sound like a crappy excuse but it's true, I know there are others who can relate. I understand fishing for likes isn't important, but what I wish for is feedback and often times you have to dig for that, let alone get people who care enough to do so. It is why I wish I could get eyes on my work, so I could understand what i'm doing that sucks, or what could be better to improve.

@PolyHertz I saw your feedback as well, thank you for that. I've tried other places as well like reddit and twitter, usually just gets buried though. I'm no stranger to dislikes on reddit without comment for what i've made so... i'm not sure to make of that, so I just chop it up to people not liking it and moving on I guess. Deviantart is nice, Artfol is nice but not really a place for 3D though and twitter i'm sure is okay if you have a following already otherwise.... it's like screaming into a void. I'm sure I will connect eventually like @sacboi said with consistency, i'm still new for the most part and I'm not sure making props or other game models will really connect with people as much as other things but I do like making things for games so thats nice.
  • jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    Two essential reads imo...

Artistic theory Color and Light 

Theory applied in CG Digital Lighting and Rendering
  • Mr_Nova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @jStins Thank you. I really appreciate it.
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    If you want views, you need to engage with other artists by following and commenting on their work, liking their work, giving feedback, joining discussions on places like Polycount, etc. You also need to be consistent and targeted in your work. People will follow you because they want to see more of the same. That's social media 101.

My advice? Don't worry about it. Your work is good enough to get you a job as a junior somewhere. Keep doing what you love doing. Make things because you love making things, not for the approval of internet strangers.