Home General Discussion

RSI from 3d modeling / Wacom tablet advice

madstylesnz
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
madstylesnz polycounter lvl 9
Hi, I've been doing 3d modeling for a while now in my spare time and I have a real problem with RSI. The nature of 3d modeling using Maya and Zbrush and painting textures in Photoshop naturally means I'm clicking away constantly and over time it aggravates my tendons. I've been doing some RSI stretches, I do Yoga about twice a wk and I force myself to take regular breaks every 30 mins or so for about 5 mins all of which helps keep it at bay, but I notice after a hard slog at modeling for several hours I have noticeable discomfort the next day.

Wondering if any of you guys struggle with this as well? I am a bit of a worry wart admittedly and I'd like to work as a 3D artist one day but if I was successful in landing a gig I'd want to be sure I can cope with long hours of 3D artistry without damaging my body and having to give up on my dream job.

Looking online I was noticing some people talking about Wacom tablets that really help, I might consider investing in one if it will help, god knows it would help immensely from an artistic perspective. But what about modeling hard surfaces in Maya, and just using the general Maya UI with a tablet how do you guys find it? Can I do everything that I do with a mouse on a PC with a tablet as well?

I haven't really used a stylus pen before so I just wonder if it would be cumbersome to use using the viewport cam in Maya.

Replies

• Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    I dont use one myself but a guy I work with uses a Wacom Intuos Pro for all his work in maya and he is very fast with it so it is totally doable.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    This is guess of course, but IMHO the pain you are getting might be coming from the click-hold-drag operation that 3d software like Maya require you to do about 99% of the time (when moving components around, either by tweak or by grabbing handles).

A stylus can alleviate that a little by letting you perform this action slightly differently. This is worth a try, as well as a vertical mouse.

That said you might also be interested in giving Blender a try, leaving it all by default just to check its unusual input system for move/scale/rotate. It consists of tapping a key (G for move aka "grab"), moving the mouse around to perform the action (without any click needed), and confirming - similarly to some CAD software. This is extremely light on the hands as you don't need to ever hold a click down and never need to move the mouse around with all these fingers clenched on it. After getting familiar with the default keys for a little while you can then either adopt them, or remap them to a hybrid setup relying on the usual QWER but still leveraging the Blender "key tapping" paradigm. This is what I have been doing for a couple of years now (previously using Max with Maya-style input) and it's really nice.

Doing such tests can seem like a daunting task of course, especially if you weren't planning to try a new app ; It could be worth it though.

I should also probably mention that I used to have sharp wrist pain myself from Photoshop use when using it with a regular tablet, which I reverted back to after having issues with Cintiqs which sometimes caused me mild visual discomfort. Turns out that the best solution for me is simply to have them both plugged at the same time (regular tablet + Cintiq), and using either/or when best suited for the task.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ergonomics isn't just about the mouse tho, it's a whole body thing. Posture, chair height, desk height, arm angle, wrist angle. They all affect RSI.

I would suggest examining all of these, and correcting incorrect physical habits ASAP. 

Also check your mouse configuration. I switched to a vertical mouse (less forearm twist), and remapped middle button to a thumb button (lots of middle clicking is really tough on the hand & wrist).
  • madstylesnz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ergonomics isn't just about the mouse tho, it's a whole body thing. Posture, chair height, desk height, arm angle, wrist angle. They all affect RSI.

I would suggest examining all of these, and correcting incorrect physical habits ASAP. 

Also check your mouse configuration. I switched to a vertical mouse (less forearm twist), and remapped middle button to a thumb button (lots of middle clicking is really tough on the hand & wrist).
    I have my desk setup as best I can for the correct posture recently making my screens higher so they're at eye level. I've got a vertical mouse I use at work which I requested as standard mice you get at work are these tiny things that seem to be designed for hobbits and aggravate my RSI. The vert mouse has helped a lot at work but possibly I could try it for my 3d work but a good one isn't cheap, I have a Razer Deathadder mouse at home and I really love it it's very responsive and is a large mouse that fills my hand but is not a ergo mouse.
  • madstylesnz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 said:
    I dont use one myself but a guy I work with uses a Wacom Intuos Pro for all his work in maya and he is very fast with it so it is totally doable.
    I guess I won't know until I try it myself but that's good to hear, I imagine it would take time to get used to.
  • madstylesnz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior said:
    This is guess of course, but IMHO the pain you are getting might be coming from the click-hold-drag operation that 3d software like Maya require you to do about 99% of the time (when moving components around, either by tweak or by grabbing handles).

A stylus can alleviate that a little by letting you perform this action slightly differently. This is worth a try, as well as a vertical mouse.

That said you might also be interested in giving Blender a try, leaving it all by default just to check its unusual input system for move/scale/rotate. It consists of tapping a key (G for move aka "grab"), moving the mouse around to perform the action (without any click needed), and confirming - similarly to some CAD software. This is extremely light on the hands as you don't need to ever hold a click down and never need to move the mouse around with all these fingers clenched on it. After getting familiar with the default keys for a little while you can then either adopt them, or remap them to a hybrid setup relying on the usual QWER but still leveraging the Blender "key tapping" paradigm. This is what I have been doing for a couple of years now (previously using Max with Maya-style input) and it's really nice.

Doing such tests can seem like a daunting task of course, especially if you weren't planning to try a new app ; It could be worth it though.

I should also probably mention that I used to have sharp wrist pain myself from Photoshop use when using it with a regular tablet, which I reverted back to after having issues with Cintiqs which sometimes caused me mild visual discomfort. Turns out that the best solution for me is simply to have them both plugged at the same time (regular tablet + Cintiq), and using either/or when best suited for the task.
    So you mean in Blender I could map the left mouse button to a keyboard key? Does that work the same if I click drag to make a large selection of say vertices? Switching to a new 3d app like Blender would be a mission as I've only ever used Maya but I know if I wanted to get a career in this industry I'd have to be willing to learn new 3D software.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage

Good advice.

I use a pen with my right hand and a mouse in the left. I love my wacom but there is still stuff that is better left to the old rodent. Tablets last for years and I have a couple of older wacom Bamboos I use for instruction. A bottom of the line tablet comes in at around 45 AUS bucks. You only need an A5 size, because zooming in applications is quite common and works well. Once you have weaned yourself off the death grip you need for the electric vermin you should make a full recovery.

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "So you mean in Blender I could map the left mouse button to a keyboard key? Does that work the same if I click drag to make a large selection of say vertices?"

No, I mean that in order to move something in Blender, you first tap a key (G for move by default), then just move the mouse around to perform the operation without having to hold down any mouse button (imagine just lightly holding your mouse like when browsing a website for instance) ; and then confirm. So it's not so much replacing the mouse button by a key, but rather bypassing the need to ever hold a clickdown.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    The mouse gripping while dragging thing is a big one. 

I use a razer gamepad and map the mouse buttons to keys on that  - the nice thing is that it works across all apps, you can set up different shortcut sets per app etc. 
    its the best 70quid ive ever spent on peripherals 

• madstylesnz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe said:

I use a razer gamepad and map the mouse buttons to keys on that  - the nice thing is that it works across all apps, you can set up different shortcut sets per app etc. 

Interesting just looked it up, what software do you use? Did a google but people say not possible to map mouse button to key in Maya, I'll give it a try tomorrow. 
  • rekab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rekab polycounter lvl 8
    I had pretty much the same problem you describe. Several of the 3D artists/teachers I met at school and later at work used Wacom tablets exclusively due to RSI issues, so I gave it a try. It was VERY hard to get used to using a Wacom tablet for everything, but eventually I got used to it. My RSI pain disappeared, and now I can’t imagine going back to a mouse. I highly recommend you give it a try.

P.S. I regularly use all the programs you mentioned: Maya, ZBrush, Photoshop
  • madstylesnz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rekab said:
    I had pretty much the same problem you describe. Several of the 3D artists/teachers I met at school and later at work used Wacom tablets exclusively due to RSI issues, so I gave it a try. It was VERY hard to get used to using a Wacom tablet for everything, but eventually I got used to it. My RSI pain disappeared, and now I can’t imagine going back to a mouse. I highly recommend you give it a try.

How do you find using Maya viewport camera with the tablet (tumble/zoom/pan)? How exactly do you zoom in Maya viewport with it?

This is something I'm struggling to get my head around, I guess I won't know until I try it. it's good to hear you can use it for the 3 main programs I use but I can imagine it will take some time to get used to. When I changed to a vert mouse for work even that took some getting used to, I still don't feel my vert mouse is as easy to control as a normal mouse but it's fine.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe said:

Interesting just looked it up, what software do you use? Did a google but people say not possible to map mouse button to key in Maya, I'll give it a try tomorrow. 

The razer software covers all of it, it makes the keypad send a mouseclick  so you don't have to do anything to Maya or whatever

I found the cause of most  inaccuracies with the vertical mouse to be that you tend to nudge the mouse when clicking. It's a particular issue in Maya because the point clicked bears fuck all relation to where the end of the cursor is on screen. 
    Using the keypad resolves that because you're not clicking the button anymore
  • rekab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rekab polycounter lvl 8
    rekab said:

How do you find using Maya viewport camera with the tablet (tumble/zoom/pan)? How exactly do you zoom in Maya viewport with it?

This is something I'm struggling to get my head around, I guess I won't know until I try it. it's good to hear you can use it for the 3 main programs I use but I can imagine it will take some time to get used to. When I changed to a vert mouse for work even that took some getting used to, I still don't feel my vert mouse is as easy to control as a normal mouse but it's fine.
    You just have to map the right mouse button to the lower rocker button on the Wacom pen and the middle mouse button to the upper rocker button. Works like a charm. That way the Wacom pen works just like a mouse. The pen tip is left click. The bottom rocker button is right click, and the upper rocker button is middle click. Once you get used to that, navigating the viewport in any program works just fine. I work this way in Maya, ZBrush, Photoshop, Unreal, Substance (Painter and Designer), Houdini, Marvelous Designer, Marmoset Toolbag, Rizom UV, etc. It took a loooooooooooooong time for me to get used to it, but in the end, I think it was totally worth it. After 30+ years of mousing, my right trapezius was killing me every single day. After switching to the Wacom tablet exclusively, the pain went away.
  • madstylesnz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rekab said:
    rekab said:

You just have to map the right mouse button to the lower rocker button on the Wacom pen and the middle mouse button to the upper rocker button. Works like a charm. That way the Wacom pen works just like a mouse. The pen tip is left click. The bottom rocker button is right click, and the upper rocker button is middle click. Once you get used to that, navigating the viewport in any program works just fine. I work this way in Maya, ZBrush, Photoshop, Unreal, Substance (Painter and Designer), Houdini, Marvelous Designer, Marmoset Toolbag, Rizom UV, etc. It took a loooooooooooooong time for me to get used to it, but in the end, I think it was totally worth it. After 30+ years of mousing, my right trapezius was killing me every single day. After switching to the Wacom tablet exclusively, the pain went away.
    Cool, thanks for that much appreciated, I'm sold I'm buying one.
  • rekab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rekab polycounter lvl 8
    rekab said:
    rekab said:

Cool, thanks for that much appreciated, I'm sold I'm buying one.
    No prob — Happy to help
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Sadly  Windows seems like trying to fight Wacom off  since win7.   On screen keyboard is popping up each time I try to input any text in Photoshop or Substance Designer  if I have Wacom pen in my hand.     So I have to drop the pen and grab a mouse to get rid of this.      Some apps work better with "Ink" setting off like Substance Designer  others need it badly otherwise giving you weird delay.    In a word  Wacom on Windows always  makes you  small annoying troubles.       
      Strangely  on Mac it have always been just fine.       
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    gnoop said:
    Sadly  Windows seems like trying to fight Wacom off  since win7.   On screen keyboard is popping up each time I try to input any text in Photoshop or Substance Designer  if I have Wacom pen in my hand.     So I have to drop the pen and grab a mouse to get rid of this.      Some apps work better with "Ink" setting off like Substance Designer  others need it badly otherwise giving you weird delay.    In a word  Wacom on Windows always  makes you  small annoying troubles.       
      Strangely  on Mac it have always been just fine.       
    Had the same trouble with the pop up keyboard on windows about 8 months ago. Annoying but fixable with the help of google (like most maladies pc). Been using small tablets for about 20 and in all that time never experienced a real show stopper.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    kanga said:
    Had the same trouble with the pop up keyboard on windows about 8 months ago. Annoying but fixable with the help of google (like most maladies pc). Been using small tablets for about 20 and in all that time never experienced a real show stopper.

Do you remember what was a solution?   I tried evry advice I googled.    Nothing helps .  Every time I switch from a mouse to wacom pen  I see that damn keyboard popping notwithstanding I already checked it off in every possible settings checkbox . The thing  had started after certain windows update and never gone.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you used to (on win7) be able to disable the tablet service to prevent it (wisptis.exe I think)  but I'm not sure that's the case on win 10 

I blame Wacom for this crap tbh. My crappy knockoff cintiq has drivers that dont argue with windows
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Hi gnoop

Try
    Replied on October 14, 2017
    In reply to Andre Da Costa's post on October 14, 2017
    Here is another way you can disable it.

Open Start, type: CMD
    Right click CMD
    Click Run as Administrator

At the command prompt, type the following command then hit Enter:

sc config "TabletInputService" start= disabled
    sc stop "TabletInputService"

When you want to enable it, go to the command prompt then enter the following commands.

sc config "TabletInputService" start= auto
    sc start "TabletInputService

Cheerio
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    kanga said:

sc config "TabletInputService" start= disabled
    sc stop "TabletInputService"

Cheerio

I killed  tablet service and it did help with popping up keyboard.  Thanks for the advice.    But then   other issues surfaced > I can't select and paste a text in a number of other applications for some uncertain reason. Still have  to drop the pen and grab my  mouse regularly.    It still looks like Microsoft is in a secret war with Wacom :)
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I have found over the years it to do with the mouse I use. It has to be spot on settings wise or i struggle with it.
    I only get RSI when my mouse settings are not quite right

gonna look at logitech  mx master 2s today

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I use a logitech mouse with a side button that i set to middle mouse. 

I am a maya user. I use logitech software to make that side button a toggle, so similar to the blender function I only have to click once, move a thing, then click again to toggle. 
    In maya too you also want to be aware of how you can use middle mouse to move the last selected axis - this saves having to precision select axis which cuts down on fine motor movement significantly. In addition to that I edit the manipulators to be big and fat and have a high preselection radius - again this cuts down the need for fine motor control.

I am sure others are right about general posture but I slouch like a bum most the day. In general I try to switch things up so that I don't do super heavy things like unwrapping for hours at a time. To me that makes the biggest difference. 

And here is a chance for another power to the people rant: If you guys who model for a living are regularly getting RSI I'd complain to the boss that it's too much workload. People getting hurt is no good for business so spread the tedious workload out more. 
  • madstylesnz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hi, bumping up this thread from a while back:

So I bought a wacom tablet and after getting my head around using it for Maya / general PC use I’ve gotten used to it.

I do quite like using a pen for everything it feels more natural and somehow more precise with your cursor movements.

Unfortunately though I am still getting RSI with it. The problem is the long hours I spend using a computer.

I work from home 3 days a week and try to use the tablet most of the time but when I’ve finished work I like to indulge my hobby of 3d modelling so it means I’m spending long hours (up to 12) using a wacom pen or mouse and my hand / forearm complain a lot about the excessive use.

The 2 days in the office I use a vertical mouse which I also like. I force myself to take regular breaks and do RSI stretches everyday, yet the problem still persists.

My question is does anyone else here find they still get RSI despite using a wacom pen?

I was googling about writer’s cramp as people can get it from holding a pen and writing all day as well as the mouse.

To be honest, it kind of depresses me I still would love to get employed as a 3d artist one day but to do that I would need to really practice a lot in my spare time which means long hours in front of the PC which my brain loves but my hands hate.

I just wonder even if I was lucky enough to get the job of my dreams whether this problem would get in the way of the long hours I want to put in to get good.

I don’t actually mind the physical discomfort, it’s that it might get worse with continued use and that it’s damaging my body that worries me.

Man, nothing in my life is ever simple, lol. I also have some bad mental health issues which causes my body to be really tense which I think exasperates the RSI.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I had this problem initially when I started using a tablet for painting.

What helped me is being very conscious of how tightly I was holding the pen, and how hard I was pressing down.

I started forcing myself to unlearn that tight grip, loosen up and grip/press as lightly as possible.

Then I adjusted the tablet sensitivity to match the decreased pressure, and it really helped!

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky

as shit as it sounds now. drop either your job or your hobby, neither it worth destroying your body for.

the strain you put onto your body will put you out of either, the hobby or the job eventually. take a chill pill, do something else.

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master

You should stop whatever you are doing the minute there's physical discomfort. Working through it is only going to make the problems worse. RSI stretches can really help, as well as any exercises involving the wrist. Try walking and/or breathing exercises when tense.

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Also, take the necessary time to evaluate your workflow and the behavior of the software you use. Any action requiring to hold a mouse (or stylus) button (be it left, right, or middle) while precisely moving the cursor should be eliminated.

Give Blender a try, as it allows for all transforms to be done CAD-style, without having to ever hold down a click. This is quite life-changing.

And as mentionned by others, indeed you should definitely stop any action that causes any pain.

(For the record : I too used to suffer from wrist and back/shoulder/leg pain while working ... until I started to proactively look for alternatives for anything that caused pain, which meant changing desk, chair, and software. FWIW I have been work-pain free for about 10 years now).

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage

This solved it for me. Not so easy to do tho. Get your phone to ding you every 10 mins as a reminder to relax until you are pain free.

• madstylesnz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Yeah this is a good idea, I actually do it a bit already but not all the time. I do think being a tense person makes this problem worse.

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Well, it probably has less to do with being a tense person and more to do with compensating for a lack of precision/poor UX of the tools.

For instance I would bet that these tense grip moments are likely related to precise manipulator operations (like grabbing a vert and click-down-dragging it over a specific point in space). It's a bit similar to how some 2d artists grew used to undo-ing/re-doing their strokes multiple times (almost at random) just to compensate for the lack of precision/blind feedback of regular tablets, which are orders of magnitude less precise than a regular pencil on paper.

Perhaps this is all caused by peer pressure : "if other people can do it with these tools, then I too should be able to" - leading to an acceptance of tools and workflows that are not only performing poorly, but also are hazardous to ones health ...

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

there is also the 12 hours a day factor. There isn't anything you can do that frequently that won't adversely affect your body. Eating, sleeping, sitting, walking, making love... anything you do that much is going to be a problem.

• madstylesnz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

It’s not as simple as that I need my job to pay the rent / survive. It’s not like I could just easily find some other job that doesn’t involve the use of a computer, what would I do become a plumber?

Also as for giving up on my dreams, not really an option, what would then be the point in living?

If a prof sportsperson gave up their chosen sport the moment they got an injury their career wouldn’t last very long.

Sometimes it’s about working around a problem, there are always alternatives.

• madstylesnz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

It’s very true, but as I mentioned before giving up on my dream job just isn’t an option. There must be a solution to this problem, I have to find it / them.

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Yes the solution is to slow down and focus on the more important part, which sounds like the job atm. Is there anything you can do to get your job closer to your hobby?

But really I have been there, you dont want to end in both, yes both, arms in casts for either. Your Job or your hobby.

There is value in rest, there is value in inspiration elsewhere, there is value in not working all the time.

I was unable to do anything for months, believe me i tried, it did not work. When the first wrist gave in, i tried to compensate with my left, took 2 weeks for it to be worse than the other. What worked was taking it slower.

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Well, what about sharing some pictures of your workstation, and some footage of you working on it, showing both your screen and your hands ? There's obviously something that you're doing (not obvious to you, but perhaps obvious to others) that is causing the stress and pain.

(and I stand by the opinion that this is probably all linked to mouse click-and-hold-and-drag).

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

i'd expect that working 8 hours instead of 12 might get you to your goal faster. you could try out a schedule change for a couple weeks and measure progress.

• madstylesnz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I could do that in the weekends but I work 8 hrs a day during the wk, so the 12 hrs is the 3-4 hrs I do 3d modelling after my shift.

I do have a break for dinner in between that, so it gives my tendons a chance to rest.

• madstylesnz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Ok food for thought, thx. I am a fan / believer of the philosophy of less is more.

• Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11

Last year, after 10 years of full time 3D modeling, my mouse clicking finger started to experience sharp pain every time I clicked that wouldn't go away.

3 months of no improvement I realized it was time to really solve this problem.

I tried so many different mice, gloves etc... Nothing off the shelf worked long term. Fortunately, eventually I found a setup that did.

What worked for me was building a custom capacitive touch mouse. I don't click a mouse anymore, I simply lightly touch the surface.

I bought 2 of these usb capacitive touch switches from amazon and bound them to left and right click.

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

That sounds pretty cool, please share details about that !

• Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

So credit goes to this VFX artist from youtube, originally I wasn't sure how to solve this but it seemed like he did all of the experimentation so I didn't have to.

Here is a link to the youtube video by Burton that helped guide me to using capacitive touch to solve my specific clicking issue when using a mouse. His final/real solution is at the 9:05 mark in the video.

Link to video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wH12gU1e2g

He seems to have a bit of familiarity with soldering so he made his own custom setup. I was about to buy a whole soldering set to do the same thing, but then I saw that amazon had some usb capacitive touch switches that shipped out of Japan.

I bought 2 of these switches (the key binding software wasn't provided, but I was able to find it on github through their site).

I basically glued these 2 cube-shaped switches onto a working mouse that fit my hand.

It's not a pretty solution, but it has been working for me so far. The capacitive usb switches seems a bit pricey (the price went up 100% since I last purchased them), but I would have paid 10x more because I was desperate to solve my issue.

Here is a link to the usb capacitive switch I used from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009E0KFL6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Side note on the usb switch from amazon:

The usb switch product is poorly documented, and it's only in Japanese. So I had to use a translator. The actual software to set up the keybinding is missing from the official site, but if you search their github page using the product number it show up. (not user friendly)

My situation was fairly extreme so this solution is probably not appropriate for most people.

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Very interesting, thanks for sharing !

The most recent small Arduinos controllers can be set to behave as a HID (Human interface = USB keyboard/mouse) - meaning that a very low profile solution could be developped, with very small touch sensors on top of the mouse (which is pretty much what is shown in the video). Very clever stuff, definitely adding it to the list of things to try eventually :)

https://www.deviceplus.com/arduino/can-arduino-make-usb-devices-try-using-the-hid-function-with-arduino-pro-micro-leonardo-2/

And it's great that you found an alternative solution that works out of the box too.

(Now that said I still believe that holding down on a capacitive switch could still be more stressful than being able to fully release the finger CAD-style, because the hand still has to move the mouse at the same time).

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vaguely related... 
    https://www.rgbkb.net/products/mki2c-modules?variant=38222795964568

these things (among others I'm sure) exist  - being QMK compatible means you have a huge amount of flexibility in terms of programming and don't have the risks associated with installing stuff from a google drive linked off Ali-express

• madstylesnz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Interesting, good to know there’s other options out there. The capacitive touch mouse, do you not push a button down at all but just touch the sensors is that right?

Does it work with Maya do you know? I don’t know much about mapping mouse buttons in maya.

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

with most stuff like this the device firmware sends a standard button/key/slide/scroll input so application compatibility isn't an issue

• Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Yea, exactly what pipe said above. The 2 capacitive sensors I am using are recognized as a mouse left and right click on any computer that would normally recognize a mouse. (I have to do the initial setup 1 time, after that it works on all computer devices that support a mice)

If anyone finds a mouse that doesn't use a contact blade to produce the "click" noise on press and release please let me know.

The click sound in a traditional mice is a physical vibration that my hand can no longer tolerate easily. My current solution works fine so for now it will do until something else starts causing problems.

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

wouldnt the apple mouse work this way? its a touch sensor even with gesture support. the question is does it run on pc?

• knacki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    knacki polycounter lvl 11

I didn’t read it all. 30+ years of computer work let me hear you anyway.

I figured out the importance of correct angle. The angle of upper arm, lower arm and how your wrist is bended. Only one or two centimetres can make a big, big difference. From chair AND table

My advice #1 is: A motorised table!

Height adjustment or/and changing from sitting to standing work position is super important for me. I bought just the the motorised frame in L form and build my stuff on it. 140kg is quite necessary. I have 2 24” and one Cintiq, plus quite huge active loudspeaker, plus laptop, lan switch and way too often my cat to lift.

All this helps a lot to find perfect position.