Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Deserted Research Base

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
InvaderRoxas polycounter lvl 4
Hi everyone, back with another project! This assignment was pushing me out of my comfort zone with it's sci-fi theme, as the genre in general is something I've struggled with before in the past. However, with all I've been learning lately, I've found that I'm starting to dig it just as much as I love fantasy and lush forests! 

This is one of the shortest projects I've done, just under 2 weeks, so making sure I finished on time was a challenge in itself. But besides the time crunch and pushing me to do something different, the focus was also to incorporate the story into the environment. This environment's story is based around a group of scientists who have gone missing since researching some crystalized rock in this cave, and the "player" comes across the abandoned site. This challenged me to think of props that could help bring the story out to the forefront, while also creating an interesting piece. I also took the time to practice more in Designer, and practice makes perfect with trim sheets so I had fun concepting and creating those as well. 

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated! I would love to know what I can do to improve moving forward. 

Full Breakdown - 
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/NxLZXP?commentId=4670103

Replies

• CybranM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    The scene looks good but some areas are confusing, the ground doesnt read like anything to me, is it supposed to be some sort of shale?
    Its all going in one direction except in one area which is also weird.

The foliage far away from the entrance (?) doesnt have any access to sunlight and since its growing on the structure it implies that this site has been here for a while but there doesnt seem to be any weathering on the structure itself. 

The entrance is also a bit weird, did they enter from where the sunlight shines in and then dig a tunnel with a door or did they enter from somewhere else? The placement of the door directly underneath the entrance is weird to me.
    How is the drill mean to be used? It looks way to big to be carried but it doesnt seem to have any means of locomotion.

Hope it doesnt come off as negative, just wanted to provide some feedback :smiley:
  • InvaderRoxas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InvaderRoxas polycounter lvl 4
    @CybranM Thanks so much for your feedback! I totally agree with all of the points you have here, thank you for pointing this all out. My interpretation of the prompt was that the cave entrance (aka where everything would be loaded in from) was off-screen to the left, but I should have definitely put more effort into communicating that into the composition. Consistency too is something I hope to improve (textures aught to be more weathered, ground texture isn't consistent/is muddled) on with my next project, so thanks again for your input! I'll keep this all in mind moving forward.