Home Technical Talk

Any suggested suite?

A while ago I decided to learn maya

But the suite is so damm slow and broken, booleans never properly work, tools often break apart, the viewport often has issues, it visually destroys the mesh, and I still haven't found a solution, simulations are ultraslow, arnold is slow, arnold gpu that they have recently added, it's still trash, so I bought redshift to fasten rendering, yes it's a way more faster than arnold, but I don't have money to buy extra plug-in for each task, to do the job, and futhermore I need to also pay the maya subscription plan, because they have decided that perpetual licenses don't need to be there anymore

looking around I found houdini that seems to have a perpetual license, and also seems to use the gpu for simulations alongside with the cpu, but actually I have no idea how does it perform with such simulation, if it's any better than maya or not, I don't have the time to learn another suite, for later on discovering that's slow and broken aswell

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Houdini performs better than maya and is incredibly powerful but don't expect to just pick it up and use it.
    The learning curve is steep, you need to understand maths and frankly it's fucking weird. 
    Be aware though, that it is not geared for manual modelling etc. it's really just a platform for processing data and building tools.

I'm the last person to defend maya - its been making my job unnecessarily difficult for almost 20 years - but it's generally not as bad as you're describing. It does allow you to make stuff. 
    could this be a hardware thing ? could it be you're doing it wrong (not hard in maya)?

If it's neither of the above you might as well give blender a try because it's free and if/when that doesn't work out, switch to max because it (almost) works properly. 
  • Liii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe said:
    Houdini performs better than maya and is incredibly powerful but don't expect to just pick it up and use it.
    The learning curve is steep, you need to understand maths and frankly it's fucking weird. 
    Be aware though, that it is not geared for manual modelling etc. it's really just a platform for processing data and building tools.

I'm the last person to defend maya - its been making my job unnecessarily difficult for almost 20 years - but it's generally not as bad as you're describing. It does allow you to make stuff. 
    could this be a hardware thing ? could it be you're doing it wrong (not hard in maya)?

If it's neither of the above you might as well give blender a try because it's free and if/when that doesn't work out, switch to max because it (almost) works properly. 
    isn't it just a node based suite?
    even maya has similar functions, though usually it's stuff that goes under the hood, and it's not that used
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    its a bit more than just a node based version of maya. its really more like a library of computational geometry and effects functions wrapped up in a node editor . 

I mean you can not use 99% of its capabilities and treat it like maya but it's not very good at that.