Home Technical Talk

Maya- Control vertex colors with BlendShape

I'm having difficulty finding a way to get vertex colors morphing in a Maya blendshape. Was hoping someone could explain to me how to achieve this?

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Could you explain what you are trying to achieve? 
  • benblack75
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure and thanks for responding! I need to create a test asset for work that uses a blend shape to morph Vertex Color.  So if the base mesh has vertex colors set to red, and I create a target shape mesh that contains blue vertex colors, I want to be able to drag the influence slider and see it transition between the two colors. I'm not entirely sure this is possible, so what I'm hoping to know is whether or not it is in fact possible, and if so, how I might go about setting it up. Simply having different vertex colors assigned for base mesh, and target shape meshes and creating a blendshape does not include vertex color in the morph in Maya.
  • suspectlogic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    suspectlogic polycounter lvl 13
    It sounds possible, but something that's probably best done via expressions. In theory you could take the source verts and use a color blend node to interpolate them with target verts, while using the blend shape influence as the modulator. An expression would work best because this would need to update any time the modulator value changes.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    That would be possible with Bifrost. Transfer the data from one Blendshape to the other.

Here some hints. 
    https://vimeo.com/pooby
  • benblack75
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonderful- thanks for the suggestions... I really appreciate it!