Home Career & Education

i applied to many studio didnt receive single call.what is wrong with me

admin
Offline / Send Message
System admin
This discussion was created from comments split from: Am i good enough to get a junior artist job?.

Replies

• TusharHegde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hello guys i need help,
    its almost 2 years iam doing job as 3d generalist and Ui designer in indie studio but iam using blender here.i applied to many studio didnt receive single call.what is wrong with me.how can i pass this hard times in my life.i know blender as a main 3d modelling package.sometimes i will invest my free time to learn 3ds max or maya end up with nothing.my question is should i continue journey with blender or should i balance 3ds max or maya along with this.right now iam 25 years old.having lot of pressure .completed computer engineering. because of strong passion towards games i came to 3d modelling. 

Artstation links:https://www.artstation.com/tushuhegde
    please check my artstation profile feedbacks are much appreciated.even i wanted to enter as a junior artist in game studio.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    The software isn't the issue. 

You need to work on the art part - learning a new package will just get in the way of that 

Going through your artstation briefly it's clear that you need to pay more attention to reference and really start to look at the things you're trying to model.  

• YF_Sticks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YF_Sticks polycounter lvl 5
    You need to show that you understand the game art / game development pipeline. Looking at your portfolio, I can't find a single image rendered in a game engine (except the ones in Marmoset Toolbag). 
    You understand the software, now you need to improve your visual skills. Learn proper texturing, lighting etc. Show that you can bake properly. If you want to be an environment artist, show environments (composited and rendered in Unreal Engine if possible). If you want to make props, you need to up your quality. It really comes down to your presentation and what you show in your portfolio. Go on Artstation and find some people already working (!) in the industry and look at their portfolio. That's pretty much the quality bar you need to hit in order to stand out and get a job. It's not easy, but if you persist and apply inputs and feedback, I'm sure you'll reach your goals
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    I Agree with the posts above. Your portfolio is insufficient to get a job as a game artist in the industry. Your assets lack quality and looking at them I wonder if you actually use any references. Take a look at your most recent work and compare it to a similar piece made by Sergey Tyapkin.

Your hallway is made out of very basic and not that interesting shapes, the pipes on the ceiling don't look like actual pipes, the curvature is all wrong, materials lack definition and the lighting is flat. The same thing can be said about your gun and bike, they are very basic shapes slapped together to form a silhouette of the intended objects but lack everything else.

If you already know blender, learning maya etc wont do anything for you. You need to look at it in a different way, its not about how many software packages you know but what you can do with them. You need to start training yourself artistically instead of trying to add another software package to your CV. You can find a lot of good tutorials on the internet these days, take a look at what you enjoy the most when It comes to 3D art and equip yourself with quality tutorials etc.

Like YF_Sticks already mentioned, its not easy to hit the quality bar but it is totally doable! Dont get demotivated and keep improving!
    Good luck :)
  • TusharHegde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys for all kinds of feedback.yes iam lagging i know the pain iam not specialize in particular field.also next time onwards i will improve my artistic skills rather than using different packages