Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment Art Portfolio Critique

matcool
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
matcool polycounter lvl 2
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a critique for my Environment Art Portfolio. I want to see if I'm on the right track regarding Composition and Story Telling mainly but any other critiques, advice, and tips are greatly appreciated.

Artstation: https://www.artstation.com/matthewnichilo  

Replies

• InvaderRoxas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InvaderRoxas polycounter lvl 4
    Hey there! After looking through your portfolio, I think you're on the right track, but when it comes to composition and storytelling I think there's lots of room for improvement. I'm not really getting any storytelling elements from any of your pieces, and much of your scenes are too dark for me to tell what much of the composition is. I think you have a good grasp on how to make a scene as far as the technical side goes (using trimsheets for example) but overall I think your current portfolio looks too "generic" from a game artist's standpoint. To fix this, I would focus on creating dynamic pieces with effective lighting that works with the scene rather than against it. Taking the time to really hone in on your texture work would really help as well!
  • matcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    matcool polycounter lvl 2
    Thank you for the feedback! Currently working on a scene to address and improve those weaknesses
  • valentin_baguirov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valentin_baguirov polycounter lvl 3
    Agreed with Roxas, what I would do (I know this advice might be too generic) is to look at other artist pieces and see what you like about them, break them down and analyze, see what you respond to. In my personal pieces I like to exite the player to explore the environment and set ground for potential interesting this to happen (you are already doing this in som eof your pieces). 

I definetly think the lighting could be worked on in most of your pieces..