Home Career & Education

Assets pricing

poly32
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
poly32 polycounter lvl 3
So i sell assets in webs like turbosquid and so. Hard surface stuff around 5 to 10$ each. I got contacted by a new game engine makers and the want to buy some of my assets for the game engine, no exclusivity, game engine will have own format files (like unreal have .uasset) and users cannot import them into other game engines and will only have the rights to use them in the engine.

The question is, i know how to price the assets for sell in web stores, but this is completely new for me, so which price i should ask for the assets?

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    So I'll assume making assets for an online store, you'd sell them cheaper, as they might be sold multiple times. If you're selling the assets to a company to use, you would want to figure out how long they took you to make, and how much you're worth per hour. If on asset took you 1 day to complete, and your rate is $400 per day, you might want to charge $400 for that asset

I've no experience with freelance though, this is just my train of thought.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, it comes down to exclusivity. If you don't see a reasonable chance of selling those assets in stores, then the price goes up. If you're making them only for that one use, then price according to your daily or hourly rate.

You can also sweeten the deal a bit to entice the first time buyer, if you can anticipate the possibility of future purchases.

Make sure you put everything in writing, transfer of specific rights, etc. A contract is your best friend, see that wiki page for details.