Home Technical Talk

[Question]How to work with reference images

Jean_Pierre_Seiler
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Jean_Pierre_Seiler polycounter lvl 4
Pictures say more than words (especially if english is your second language ;))

To make it clear, yes all three photos show the very same object (I most certainly know!).
As I have absolutely no clue about photography my guess is: perspective and lens curvature (would never had guessed that it alters proportions to such a great extend!).
As you might guess I just fit it in left view, than adjusted it from front view and there I already knew that something is terrible off so I put in a reference picture in top view and yep confirms that the proportions are way off.

My guess is, I would need to align the model to the perspective of the image but with out knowing what lens curvature the camera had this will be a task of its own ... .

I'll keep working on the project and will be relying more on eye-balling it, if it looks right and go from there, but if anyone could give me some useful methods, I would be mostly thankful :)

Thank you in advance!

*edit*
And yes I have a lot more pictures than the three up there, here is a couple of images I guessed that were most useful.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sometimes repair manuals will have isometric reference. But mostly you have to eyeball it.
  • Jean_Pierre_Seiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sometimes repair manuals will have isometric reference. But mostly you have to eyeball it.
    Thank you very much for the reply!
    I have already looked anywhere if I could find technical drawings / blueprints (user manuals, official site, parts sites etc). It is a limited model (just 47 have been sold) so yeah ... no luck.
    Never knew it was so hard to model something more complex with only photos.
    In the past I always had at least a side view and than photos for eyeballing details ;) .
  • sacboi
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Did you also check motorbike forums/communities?

Typically uploaded user content of their specific 'pride-n-joy' can sometimes be a good image (pers/ortho) resource, other than a generic google search.
  • Jean_Pierre_Seiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @sacboi
    Thank you for the reply!

Yes, pro tip from me, ebay is your best friend, I found so many good pictures from different angles, it is insane (I searched for 1125 engine, 1125 rim, 1125 swing-arm and so on).

I think I have probably every image one can find (my reference folder has a size of 2,39 GB, 1163 files, mostly images, ten video's and two pdf's) , I used google search (which lead me to motorbike forums), instagram (there were actually many good images there), facebook and twitter. Also I found the user  and parts manual from the Buell 1125 as pdf (the Magpul Ronin is based on that).

But there is absolutely no orthographic reference, I found CAD images but they are perspective as well.
    I see it as a big learning experience, but actually I wanted to make something "easy" as in focusing on modelling.
  • Jean_Pierre_Seiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: While I had used pureref a lot before, this made me use it differently.

This to me is a quick way of checking, if I need to make smaller adjustments to what I am doing next.

This takes a little more time to set up probably, with ctrl + +/- you can make pureref transparent, with ctrl+t pureref will ignore your mouse so you can also work in this view.

• sacboi
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Thx for the tip.

Interesting topology for that hub?!
  • Jean_Pierre_Seiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi said:
    Thx for the tip.