Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] 70s-80s era Detective Office

polygon
Offline / Send Message
Lewis_kennedy polygon
I've finished texturing most of my scene now, I'm currently working on improving the textures and detail, e.g. adding dust and grime, as well as thinking of what would add more personality to the scene in general and was hoping to get some feedback on how it looks so far, to see if people think I'm going in the right direction or if it needs reworked.

I obviously need to add wiring to the back of the electronics, I had some wiring finished before, but that was before I moved the general layout of the scene around. I'm also trying to rework the glass materials, but glass in unreal is tricky to work with.

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    That light in the middle of the scene is as bright as a UFO abduction beam!  It desperately needs to be toned down.
  • Lewis_kennedy
    Offline / Send Message
    Lewis_kennedy polygon
    That light in the middle of the scene is as bright as a UFO abduction beam!  It desperately needs to be toned down.
    yeah, you're right, I had the volumetric lighting way too high on the light, I reduced the amount a lot.

the material on the chair seat probably isn't helping either, it's reflective so it's probably making it even brighter looking, so I increased the roughness level.

on a general update I added an office plant to the room and some document storage boxes.
  • Lewis_kennedy
    Offline / Send Message
    Lewis_kennedy polygon

I've modelled a gun and bullets for the scene, I've also been adjusting the lighting and glass materials for the scene, both have been pretty tricky to get right, Glass and transparent surfaces in UE4 are pretty finicky to get realistic, especially with shadows
  • Lewis_kennedy
    Offline / Send Message
    Lewis_kennedy polygon
    I'm still working on the scene, I've textured the storage boxes now and added a picture frame to the wall to make it less blank looking.

I've added a Globe to the top of the shelf and reworked the investigation board so it would be busier, I'm thinking about getting rid of the folding chairs or at least have them folded up against a wall and replace them with proper chairs. I'm just not sure if they fit the scene that well, something about the scene still feels a bit sterile to me, I'm missing something from it, but can't think what, any suggestions?

• Lewis_kennedy
    Offline / Send Message
    Lewis_kennedy polygon
    I think changing the folding chair to a proper chair has improved it, I think for now I should probably focus on improving textures.

• Lewis_kennedy
    Offline / Send Message
    Lewis_kennedy polygon
    I think I'm just about finished working on the scene now, I'm just posting to see if I can get any opinions on which arrangement of the scene looks better.

The first one looks more cramped but it makes the scene look more detailed in the right angles. I think the busyness of the scene might work.

the second one feels like the space is better optimized, but I'm not sure if that's necessarily the best for the type of scene.