Home Unreal Engine

Any tutorials or methods used to create film quality realistic architectural materials

cturbo
node
Offline / Send Message
cturbo node
Hello, I am trying to recreate a room I seen on a horror movie and I am new to unreal. I want film like quality textures for the room i.e antique wood, brick, decay, fabrics etc. I have seen a few tutorials on substance website showing how to make wooden floor and brick. It's ok,  but is this the best way to produce realistic textures, or is there another way? I have been told that everyone can tell if you did it in substance I guess its becuase everyone is looking at the same tutorial or the textures looked too filtered. How do you create photorealistic textures, and are there any tutorials you can direct me to how to do it? I use Maya and not blender btw. Thanks!!

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    you can identify bad substance work very easily - but that is bad substance work.  when it's done well you can't identify it. 

if you're trying to recreate a look and your focus is on building a scene then why not use megascans/quixel mixer  as a starting point ?  when something doesn't work quite right with that you can start introducing more powerful tools/customisation
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Some people do fantastic things with Substance designer fully procedural.   But imo it's  rather kind of a sport or showcase  of abilities .  Most of a time  you instantly see what's photogrammetry and what's procedural  because nobody in games have unlimited time  and  Substance Designer does have some things that often reveal it's not real: cell structures , overlapping  scattering . simplified colors , simplified AO, absence of small self shadows, anything like  moss of grass  etc.    I.e .    Substance  textures almost always look a tad bit surreal .

But a big    part of it is not textures itself  but rather placing  them:   multi-layering. decals , macro layers, etc. Whatever realistic a texture  even 5x10 meters is   you need to recreate real life material variability , low frequency details    . It's more important  for a look than  each and exact texture.