Home Technical Talk

greey mustard in normal map

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
so baked this from prcedural textures in blender, but where there are right nag;es ie a kerb on the
road in this case there is a weird greeny mustard color

is this normal( not a joke ), would have expected a purply color tbh

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's an inverted direction, which may cause wonky rendering in-game.

Some engine will try to occlude normals that face away from the camera, so the surface would turn black there.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Yeah the surface did turn black when i applied the normal map in blender. so how to avoid this , not baking from high poly here, just from procedurals.
    Even when i lessen the slope of the kerb, its still greenish. There are no flipped normals and I have applied all transoforms
    I had this working fine last time i tried it
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Overlapped UVs maybe?
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    okay i think I have solved it. sometimes even after you apply all transforms, it does not alwys work. it's a bit like in max where you have
    to attach your object to a cube to fully reset xform

its not entirely logical here though, I did make it a single user in materials object and data also. not sure if this was the fix or the apply transforms.

now just got to figure out how to stop my car battery from discharging overnight and I am sorted :0
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    ok I know what it was now, had a mirror modifier which was turned off for viewport, but not for render. simple really but these thigns can cause me hours of annoyance :)
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ooh I gotchu there. Unplug phone charger from your cigarette lighter. Those things continually pull juice, draining low batteries. Also how old is the battery, they do wear out. 

Or it could just be inverted. :)
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah , there is obviously some power drain, took the phone charger off completely, made sure all the bulbs were unlit, ie trunk, glove compartment etc. alternator seems to be charging battery quickly during the day. just put a new battery on .
    was totally dead ths morning, charged it for 30 mins, got it started although engine turned over veeery slow and within ten mins of driving around it was back to normal.

inverted ?, well I did connect postive to postive, negative to negative lol

might have to buy a newer car, this one has been great as a runaround, school run etc, but its getting really old now